Sadowsky preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by liran, Nov 22, 2001.

1. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    What would be the difference in sound in putting a preamp into the bass, or using an outboard? This would be on a fender mia 75 jazz reissue.
  2. My understanding is that they are the same preamp - the outboard just has a cover. Roger could tell you for sure...

3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    and if you are a multiple bass owner you can use the outboard praemp with different basses.
  4. Not a great deal. Just more convenient.
  5. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I have listened to my onboard and outboard preamps and as long as the cord from the bass to the preamp is less than 20 feet, I don't think there is any significant sound difference.

The only real advantage to the onboard is the convenience of the controls.

Roger Sadowsky
  6. I am going to slightly disagree with Roger...I don't have an onboard preamp, but I do use both versions of the outboard. I think it depends on what you mean by significant. There is a slight but noticeable difference between the outboard with a 1ft cable and a 10 foot cable. Live, and indeed in any sort of mix (including a CD player through your practice amp!), it makes no difference at all. I know nothing about recording, so I would not presume to comment. But as far as solo bedroom practice is concerned, there's enough difference to make anal retentives like me go for the short cable.

Or maybe it's all psychological.

The 'old style' strap hanger is easier to use with a short cable, so it gets used for bedroom practice. It really does make a difference with a 5 string through a BXR25 - you can hear the low B! The stomp box gets used live. The stomp box is very useful...I haven't gigged with an amp since April!