Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Preamp Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I've tried to search this up, but it seems like nobody has been as dumb as me. So I'll be the first one:

I picked up my new sadowsky mv4 today - two hours later than the estimated arrival time. That's about 48 hours from New York to a small Norwegian town. Great work, fedex!

But this is about the bass. I picked it up one hour before a jazz trio gig, so I didn't got to play it before we were on. I didn't know how the preamp worked, so I just left it flat. But let me tell you, this bass is just amazing. One thing that surprised me was that I didn't need any time before I got used to it. Usually when I play jazzes, my chops are nothing compared to when I play my old warwick. But it was all there: This neck is FAST, and the fretwork - off course - flawless.

But hey, forgive my mindless rambling here. Because I have a question. I've figured out the volume,pickup pan and treble boost knobs. But the bottom knob, how does it work? It's stacked. The manual says it is a push/pull button for active/passive. But pushing and pulling is not possible. I got the vintage tone control installed.

I could always figure this out tomorrow when I can spend more time with it. But I'm just so curious:)

(And btw, thunderfunk,schroeder1210+sadowsky.what do you think? :D )

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If the VTC was installed by Sadowsky it will be the push-pull pot for passive. Those instructions are probably for a bass without the VTC.
    The controls are Volume -- Pickup blend (backwards) VTC (push pull)
    Stacked Bass (bottom) treble (top) . Remember the preamp is boost only so the pre amp knobs all the way off is flat.

3. Oh, so the third knob is the push pull! Well, gues I got to check it out tomorrow. I have a pretty large gig in the evening (hopefully around 4-5000 people) so need to sort it out before that. The problem, however, is that the bass is currently located in the bottom of my car, UNDER all the drums. So it's gonna take me a whole lot of time and re-loading before I have a change of trying it again. (Needless to say, I was not the one who put the bass there in the first place. Damn drummers! )

What I didn't say in the last post: The sound of this bass truly amazed me. I didn't knew what the knobs was for, but still managed to get a sweet sound. I was a bit sceptical because I actually dig standard fender jazz more than the deluxe model. But let me tell you, this baby kicked the deluxes ass in an extrordinary manner. Just way more punchy and sweet at the same time.

AND: IT REALLY CUTS TROUGH IN THE MIX, AND ALL THE BANDMEMBERS COMMENTED ON HOW WELL IT SOUNDED. (seriously, that was a joke - I haven't had the time to really judge how well it cuts. But everyone writes it, you know:) And is there really any guitarists that care about their bassists sound?)

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  5. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Hei! Grattis med ny bass! Jeg sitter her å venter på min Mike Lull M4V..
    Den bør være her halv fire.. Gleder meg! :hyper:

6. Thanks, I've figured it all out now. This bass is just so amazing!

Had a pretty damn big gig today, and it all went well.
    Good luck with your Lull!