Sadowsky preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tomtrb, Jun 6, 2001.

1. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Ive been looking at getting the Sadowsky outboard preamp, or the Fodera, but the recommendations have me a little confused. It is recommended for passive basses and instruments with active electronics that can be bypassed. Well, I have an active bass (Yam TRB5II), so is it just not recommended for me? I thought all a preamp does is change gain structure, so it wouldnt really matter what signal is going in, right?
    I was also wondering about an active DI, like from Rapco. These units give a certain amount of "forward gain", is that just a uniform boost? The thing is, the output of my bass is kind of weak, and from what I hear that is not uncommon with this model. I dont mind running DI from my bass and then into my amp, but since the Sadowsky has a balanced out, I could use that.
  2. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    I have a TRB-JP and can adjust the output via a small trim pot inside the control cavity. You might be able to do the same with your Yamaha. I've been under the impression that the electronics were the same in both instruments. Open it up and have a look. This might help solve your problem. Good luck.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Sadowsky is usually not used with an active bass but the TRB5II IIRC has the same electronics as the TRB6II (which I had) which didn't have a particularly hot output. It would probably work. I thought the II series electronics was it's Achilles heel.
  4. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Brad, I have to agree that the electronics on this series are not up to par. I dont know anything about pickup systems, but maybe I should give it an electronics transplant.
    I saw those two pots inside the cavity but I was told by my electronics guru friend not to turn them b/c that could change other parameters like ohms, etc. I turned them anyway, and it didnt make a big difference. I know I should resolve some issues on my bass, but I was wondering about why the Sadowsky is not recommended for active basses. Maybe a techie out there could help me out. Oh, and BTW, if anyone knows what "forward gain" is, that would be helpful too

And just one more thing. Every time I write a reply and then spellcheck it, it dissappears. Ive lost several messages that way and was too pissed off to rewrite them. Is this an OE or what?
    Thanks for the replies,