Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    No, this is not an "OMG, Sadowsky is so overpriced!" thread. Don't worry.

I was just wondering, how much do new and used Sadowsky Metro (that's the cheaper series, yeah?) usually run?

I don't think I could afford a NYC without selling some choice organs.

I'm looking ahead to when I have the money to buy another bass. GAS has a firm hold on my wallet.

Also, from what I'm reading, there's a little thing called a "Vintage Tone Control" that lets you have active and passive modes with the Sadowsky electronics? Correct me if I'm wrong, I know very little about Sadowsky. Is this option only availible on the NYC series?

2. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    To the best of my knowlege the VTC is an option on Metro or NYC take your pick. If you live in Washington State just call BassNW for all of the prices. Ask for Steve or Evan. Oh and with Sads the price is the price. But the tone as they say is priceless. :D

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    A new Metro will run you $1900 to $2600 dollars depending whether its 4 or 5 string or Ultra Vintage.
    Have a look at their website www.sadowsky.com
    All NYC's have the Variable Tone Control as standard, you can have it added to the Metro when you order one or it can be retro-fitted by a dealer - about £150 dollars I think. I've seen used Metros go for anything between $1200 to £1800

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    This is my dream bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not a bad price I guess ($2125). If I could find one used, I'd pretty much have to get it.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    The Vintage Tone Control used to be an option on the NYC, but is now standard. It's an additional option on the Metros.

What it does is this. The Sadowsky preamp is 2 band, bass and treble, and only offers boost on each band. Also, the 2 bands are only available in active mode. While this fulfills most requirements, it leaves the player without any way of reducing treble. What the VTC offers you is a passive tone control (I believe the term is "treble bleed"), exactly the same as what you get on a Fender Jazz Bass. It functions in both passive and active modes, independent of the preamp.