1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CliffD, Apr 26, 2009.

1. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    So I just installed a set of Sad Blue Steels on my NYC JJ5 and now whenever I play any note on the B string I get this weird rattle sound coming from the pickups, like something is shaking. With the Sad Blue nickels I had everything was fine. I can't hear it through my amp but unplugged it's certainly noticeable. I have Sad singles in my bass if that makes a difference. Any help?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO, one of two things is going on here.

1) You might have gotten a bum string. It happens with any brand. I doubt that's the case, but who knows

2) More likely, one of the springs at the bridge is vibrating in sympathy with one of the strings. Take your thumb nail and move each spring on the bridge around just a bit. This usually takes care of the issue (when a spring vibrates in sympathy with a particular frequency, it can sound exactly like a string with loose wrapping wire or a 'pickup rattle', etc.).

In no way is this a systematic issue between Sadowsky steels and nickels, or any string design in general. Just work those springs at the bridge a bit, and my guess is, you should be fine.

3. i was so bothered by spring so many years that none of my basses have springs any where!!!

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Try to take the string off and put it back on. this has happened to me once with a set of blues and I couldn't figure out what it was. Took the string off to look closely to see if there was anything visibly wrong and saw nothing. Put it back on and it sounded perfect.

If that doesn't remedy your problem, it may be a bad string. Contact Sadowsky and they will replace the string ASAP.

5. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Following Nino's comment, it's possible that the B string is not fully seated against the back of the bridge. Sometimes the heavy windings get caught against the back of the bridge.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    agreed,

had the same problem, did the same, and worked!

7. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Thanks for all the help guys! I tried to kind of mute each bridge spring with my fingers and then play the B and it still did it. I'll try what Nino said and if not contact Sad. Thanks!

8. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    The string might be twisted. Try being careful not to let it twist when you put it on.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    BTW, the Roscoe body in your avatar looks like it going to be one sick bass.

10. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Thanks Nino, I should have her in about a month:

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Wow, it's even nicer up close.

12. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    So I took the the B string off completely, checked all of the bridge springs, and then re-installed the B string. Same weird buzzing problem, even when I muted the string springs and all other strings, it still buzzed/rattled. I just installed a new B and problem solved, guess it was a bad string. FYI for anyone who might have the same issue come up.