1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Proportions on Five for $1,000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know it will never happen, but I think it would be cool if Sadowsky applied a bit of the MTD and Lakland model and produced a bass the equivalent of the MTD Kingston Artist or the Skyline 55-01. The idea of bass like this would be to make the ergonomic advantages of Sadowsky design philosophy available to those on a beginner or student, or in my case, broke daycare paying Daddy, budgets. It would be a bass that would not be a direct copy of NYC basses, maybe it could be passive, and five string only since it is not that hard to get a pretty nice four string Jazz cheap. From a marketing standpoint, a passive bass makes sense because it not cheapen the famed Sadowsky active tone, and further differentiate this budget line of basses. The main thing it could offer would be the Sadowsky neck profile, the standard Sadowsky humcanceling pickups or single coils and a fairly light body of swamp ash or maybe basswood, and excellent fretwork. To avoid confusion, it should not be labeled a Sadowsky but it could mention that Roger designed it on the back of the peghead.

I'm guessing a well done Korean or Indonesian factory bass like this would run $750-$1,100 depending on the details. I know that Roger Sadowsky doesn't seem to be interested in bass like this, but a brother can dream beause I do like the way his necks feel.:)

2. I'd go for this. Especially if it could be lightweight.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I feel for the desire of players to have a lower priced Sadowsky. I have one Sadowsky and wish I could afford 5 more. My problem is that a lower quality Sadowsky isn't a Sadowsky. Michael Tobias, Ken Smith, Lakland, Conklin, Curbow, Elrick and others have all tried this approach to reach a broader market but they will all tell you that these instruments are in no way comparable to their custom shop equivalents. I actually applaud Roger for not putting his name on an instrument that doesn't completely satisfy his standards for quality. The Metro line represents Roger's method for delivering an NYC quality bass while cutting costs by 1/3. To make a less expensive instrument would mean making a cheaper instrument, and I wouldn't want to play a "cheap" Sadowsky. It sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Just my two cents...

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I think there are a lot of options in the low to mid priced market. Some things are just meant to be and Sadowsky basses fits that category.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I understand how Roger feels, and I see his point about wanting to maintain his name. That is why I said the bass need not be labeled a Sadowsky. I have owned cheaper MTDs and Skylines, and I loved them for their neck profiles, ergonomics and playability. A MTD Kingston Artist is not a MTD 535, but it has the same neck profile and body shape, and it is a wonderful bass to play. The same is true for a 55-01. I do believe that Sadowsky's basic design philosophy would make a great bass at any price point.

6. +1 I agree!I don't think Roger feels the need to compete with himself.I also think,the Metros are a perfect fit for budget minded players.After all,the only thing that could possibly be Sadowsky on a $750-$1100 bass would be the decal on the headstock and the T.M....IMO

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I knew my thread title could lead to comments about the headstock, but once again, I'm not worried about owning a peghead that says Sadowsky. If I were, I would be more active in setting a up a fund to buy a Metro or NYC bass. I am comfortable buying less expensive instruments, but I do like the neck and proportions of a Sadowsky. I don't need the preamp or specific tone, and I know that a budget preamp would be the kiss of death in a bass like this. That is why I suggested a passive instrument.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess another way looking at this would be to think of making a passive Squier Jazz Deluxe with much better components and wood. A $700 Squier would work just as well for me.:)

9. So,Your suggesting something along the lines of the OLP line(MusicMan)....same(ish) ergonomics but w/o bells and whistles...That would be kinda coo!

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Can anyone contrast and compare the quality differences between a Metro and a Skyline
    with just honest opinions and without comments that would get this thread closed?

11. @ the same time though,You know how having the word "budget" associated with a company orig. design can be a bit of a stigma....

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm thinking something closer to a G&L Tribute in terms of quality, but OLP is a good comparison because they were passive with the same ergonomics.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Without any malice, I say it is only a stigma to the shallow.

14. Gotcha!Yeah the olp's were @ much lower price point!It's funny cause alot of people think that Sad's are just tricked out Fender knockoffs but,as anyone who's played the two knows Sad's ergonomics and little refinements make all the difference!So,that said,it's kinda tuff to drive those aspects into a lower price point cause,thats kinda what You pay for in a NYC as well as a Metro...IMO

15. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    Can't see that Roger would have 3 categories of bass's.
    The Metro line is the economy model which is just about up to the NY line as far as quality is concerned.

Interesting thought though! Ya never know... at 63 nothing surprises me anymore. ;)

Lovin my MS5 :bassist:

Walt

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think with CNC and PLEK, you can close, and for $700-$1,100, close is all you have a right to expect.:cool:

17. I don't feel shallow for not owning knockoffs!:smug:...j/k hehehe

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For many, any Non-Fender Jazz is a knockoff!:smug:

19. I know,it's a trip!:bag:

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I guess the thing is if its only the general feel of the profile of the neck and the weight of the body, any company could reverse engineer a Sadowksy and spit out 1000's of CNC'd basses made with those points in mind. They are not going to have the same consistent quality as a Sadowsky. Roger or Mike Tobias or Ken Smith (as he has done) could "consult" with another company for the purposes of setting up a template instrumnet, but we have seen what the result is with the KSD line of basses. Why would we expect a Sadowsky inspired mass produced J-bass to be any better unless Roger is applying the same standards as his NYC and Metro basses? To do that, you need to charge the prices. I think there are plenty of manufactuers who make a quality J-bass product in the $1000 range. If you really wanted to, you could get some routing done in the ash body under the pickguard and get the neck profile reshaped by another luthier. I personally don't think another mass produced J-bass in the $1000 range is what the world needs!