1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky PUs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christoph h., May 5, 2010.

1. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    Hi!

Originally sent this as an email, but I thought this forum would be a good place for it, too.

Thanks,
    -Christoph

2. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    My humcancelling J pickups (4 and 5) have almost always been made by DiMarzio. Steve Blucher is an excellent pickup designer and we go back 30 years together. The design has always dynamically improved as both Steve and I have worked toward my goal of getting as close to a single coil sound as possible. There have always been differences between the Ultra Jazz and the Sadowsky version.

If you can see visible bar magnets on the bottom of the pickup, you might want to consider upgrading next year. The previous design has a semi clear epoxy on the bottom and you can see the copper shielding of the pole pieces. The newest design has a metal plate on the bottom of the pickup with black foam in the middle. We are still in transition to the newest version.

I would probably change the volume pot from 250K to 500K, before I replaced the pickups.

Roger

3. jmeyers44

jmeyers44

Sep 20, 2008
    What about your modern 4 and 5 pickups?

4. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    The Modern pickups are custom made for me by Kevin Beller at Seymour Duncan. I have auditioned many other pickups for this model, including soaps that can switch from series-parallel-single coil, and nothing I have tried can come close to this pickup. Full frequency spectrum, good highs, yet it has warmth and punch. Kevin Beller hit a home run with this one. Kevin also makes our single coil 4 and 5 string J-bass pickups.

R

5. jmeyers44

jmeyers44

Sep 20, 2008
    Yes, Your soapbar pickups need no frills and fancy switching. They are in a class by themselves with your pre-amp.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hey Roger. Have people been ordering NYC's lately w Nordstrand pickups? Ive had a couple basses w them(big singles) and thought they sounded great.

Rob

7. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    I like the Big Singles and still offer them. We will have a bass with them on our next stock update.

Roger

8. That's just mean.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Roger,

Since you are at it, can you please comment on your PJ4 pickup sets?

Who makes them for you?

Have they also changed along the years?

TIA

10. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Yeah, who makes the OUSTANDING P pickup??

11. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Next Stock Update?? :eek: Sweating already! :bag:

12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Our P4 (and matching J) is custom wound for me at DiMarzio.
    Our P5 (and matching J) is custom made by Carey Nordstrand.

R

13. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2005
    VA
    Hi Roger, I just called the other day and was told that your single coil pickups were wound by Nordstrand now, is this true?

14. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Honestly, I use both. Right now I have the Norstrands in stock.
    They are both wound to the exact same specs.

R

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Definitely not a pedigree'd Sadowsky, but I absolutely love the Sadowsky Humcancelling J/J's and Sadowsky preamp in my Fender Deluxe 5 Jazz. The Fender electronics just cannot compete in my opinion.

16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    As long as we're on the subject, if I changed the HC's to singles in my MV5, would I use the 250k volume pot that came with it, or use the 500k pot that is in their now?

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    I would start with the 500K. I would only switch to the 250K if you felt the passive tone was too bright.

Roger

18. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    Amen

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey roger,
    you posted a while back that your 4 string singles were basically antiquity 2's without the aging. i was wondering where that comparison came from. ive owned an embarrassingly large amount of sets of antiquity 2's over the years and the one thing ive been frustrated with is that no two sets are wound the same (other than them all being wound with plain enamel). they range anywhere from barely 8k to 8.9k. all the sets have sounded different. id imagine that youre getting them wound to the same spec every time for consistency.

20. The Sadowky soapbars are just incredible in my J bass and Modern:

more punchy than a 6 year old kid on a diet of Kool Aid and deprived of sleep for 2 days; more touch sensitive than a girl with a sunburn,
    fatter than Albert,
    and prettier than Jessica Alba.