Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky question for the faithful

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    So I got some single coil pickups from Rodger and swapped them out, they D and G string sound much more balanced now. However I prefer the sound of the humbuckers which unfortunately had the slightly thinner sound on those strings up to the 5th fret. I'd say what I'm missing from this bass is the classic "thump" in the low end that I got from my MIA Alder body fender with the 3 band EQ. Plenty of upper mid definition and clarity but overall too many peaks and valleys in the tonal spectrum. The low end is big and "airey" which is nice for its size, but lacks a specific "voice" or definition. I'll probably reinstall the humbuckers and give them another chance.

My question is, if I keep this bass am I staring at the possibility that I need to switch to Bartolini, and perhaps a different preamp to get what I need? Maybe the modern 5 would have been a better choice?

I want the booty and thump I got from my Fender MIA J5 but with the Sad quality build. (this metro bass really is well made) So far the sound with the single coils isn't cutting it for me. suggestions? Thanks.

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I think there was a thread identical to this a couple of weeks ago. Someone switched the pickups to Fender Custom Shop pu's, and loved what it did for him. He too was looking for the Fender tone in a better build quality package.

I'll see if I can find it...

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    It was in your thread about Sadowsky mids, post #16 by JRBrown.
    ;)

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm running a Metro RV5 with vintage tone control and I'm always rolling off the bass boast. I have boat loads off thump, it destroys my fender alder/maple deluxe MIA in that dept. I have the stacked J's which I think are the ticket in a Sadowsky, I have a feeling you had a deffective set, I remember your old thread.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    thanks, yeah I'm waiting on new pickups from Rodger. Sorry for the redundant posts. Guess everyone has a no brainer day once in awhile myself included.