Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Apr 17, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I am considering a Metro RV5 (alder, rosewood, 5 string). I was wondering if any Sadowsky owners with the alder / rosewood combination wish they had gone ash / maple? Does the focus of the B string on the alder/rosewood leave you wishing for more?

I play finger style most of the time. I am not a good slapper but I keep telling myself someday I am going to get serious about it. Style of music ranges from blues, classic rock, metal, and the contemporary church stuff. In the church setting, I like a bit of high end pop. In my jam band settings I am looking for a clear yet classic sound.

I have 61 jazz bass 4 string strung with TI flats. Everytime I play it, I am inspired. My Modulus Q5 and G&L 2500 do not inspire me like the 61 jazz. The Q5 and 2500 cut but they do not have the warmth I hear in my head. I am looking for warmth and clarity (is it possible).

And I will have to sell the Q5 and 2500 to finance.

Thanks for your opinions,

Dave

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Alder/Morado Sadowsky Vintage 4 and it was an adjustment from the previous Ash/Maple combo. In MY with the absouletly Awesome Sadowsky Pre Amp it is easier to get a Rosewood tone from a Maple finger board then to get a near perfect Maple tone from a Rosewood fingerboard, i am still experimenting though.I have heard that Maple Fingerboards do provided extra cut and clarity for a Low B, my Sadowsky 5 string being built now will have a Maple Finger board.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have an RV5 and Warmth and Clarity are the very deffinition of it's sound. I have never owned a bass that has the clarity with punch in the low end and still retains warmth when I go up high on the neck. Every thing else I've owned including some pretty respectable high end products whould either lack punch in the low end when I dialed in a high deffinition slap tone or they would go thin when I moved to the higher notes. The Sadowsky is the first instrument I've owned that gives me both and dosen't get lost in a full band. I would reccomend the VTC (150$) option with either, but to me the slap tone I get is killer with the Rosewood board! The only thing my bass seems to lack , and this may be a product of stainless strings, is that mid 70's Jazz bark. I have a feeling I could get that with and Ash body and nickle strings with the Sadowsky, but I'm not willing to give up the rest of the sounds of my Metro. I guess I'll have to get another one. The way I'd look at it is this, the RV will be closer to a 60's Jazz in sound but still have a very capable slap sound. The MV will lean more towards the 70's Fenders. There both excellent, I would deffinently get the VTC with either, if your paying 2000 whats 150 more?, Not much for the options it gives, but it sounds like your a canadate for the RV series. As far as the B string I have never owned a bass with a tighter more focused B then my Sadowsky including two high end 35" scale jobs!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree the Sadowsky Low B has the best note deffinition and clarity i have ever played on a 5 string.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I prefer ash bodies on my Sadowsky's but I have owned a couple in alder including NAMM metro #4. You'll will love the tone plus the preamp gives you lots of versatility. Go for it. Take the 7 day trial. You won't return it!!!!!!!!!

Rob

6. If it negatively affected the low B, then I am sure Roger wouldn't offer that combination of woods on a 5er.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No way! I love everything about my Metro RV5. Its plenty bright and focussed, but still warm and round. The B string is the best I've used. Better even than a Stingray or Modulus Quantum!

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Thx for the feedback all.

Burk and Pickles, are you guys playing nickel or SS rounds on your RV5s?

Dave

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm playing stainless and love the "slap" sound, like I said the only thing I really can't get is that 70's Bark, and nickles might do that.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stainless Sadowskys with Factory setup. At first I figured I'd swap to my usual DR High Beams ... but those Sads just feel good now that I'm used to them. They are very crisp, and not as flexible as the DRs (which makes them feel better for slap to me).

I havn't tried the Sad nickels though ...

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've got two ash / maple basses from Roger: Modern 5 & V5.

but i'm SOOOO gas'ed for a rose/alder. everytime i go to Roger's shop to wait for my basses to be setup, i've gotten to know the Sadowsky sound pretty well, and i'm realizing i should get a rose/alder bass!

the finger style tones are much meatier, and IMHO, punchier, too. i dont slap much, and much of my work is just straight up groovin'. IMHO, get the rose/alder, and be happy. :cool:

btw, i love Roger's nickelwound strings. the smooth feel is of the best i've used after being a Labella slappers / DR Sunbeams user. also, the tone is very rich. highly recommended.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Dave...here's a wildcard for you. Track down a Blade guitar dealer and try their basses. I had a 66 jazz, and recently bought a Blade Tetra because it was the closest to a vintage jazz in a new bass I could find.

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Well I made the jump. Here's a pic

http://www.indoorstorm.com/product_info.php?products_id=2596

Dave at Indoorstorm is a hell of nice guy. He will give me over a weekend to evaluate. Most shops do not give the Sadowsky 7 day trial period. One place quoted me more than the list price with a 2 day evaluation.

So now the question is do I keep the Sadowsky or my Q5?

Dave

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You keep both, obviously :hyper:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good freakin' sadowsky,

that's a nice bass! :bassist:

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats! She's a beauty.

As for your question: well, the major criteria are tone and playability. I no longer own a Q5 because the string spacing at the bridge was too narrow for me. OTOH, my Sadowsky plays like a dream.

Tone was much less a factor, but I prefer a more traditional tone and the Sadowsky has that over the Modulus. I must say that the Modulus has the best B I've ever tried. It's the nature of the instrument: composite neck and 35" scale. But the Sadowsky has an absolutely amazing B string as well: tight and defined, and with a more Fendery vibe than the Modulus.

The bad news is that it's a tough decision. The good news is that you won't lose either way!

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I had a Modulus Q5 also. Wonderful Bass. Exceptional B string, no dead spots. Very bright, modern and a bit sterile. Cut through the mix in a loud rock band very well. But ultimately, I found my personal Nirvana in a F Bass (Swamp Ash/Maple) Much more natural sounding with its "Vintage meets modern tones" versatility. My F Bass has the BEST slap tone I've heard too. Haven't heard Sadowsky's in person yet, but I can tell you that while I would love to have every nice bass I ever owned, I have not regretted letting go of the Q5.

18. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking how can I keep the Q5 and the Sadowsky if the Sadowsky lives up to expectations. But my wife has been more than patient as I run up the credit cards to look for the one. So ultimately I will have to make a decision. :meh:

The weird thing is I craved a Q5 for so long and after having one for a short while, it just does not live up to the hype I created. I think I prefer to hear other people play Moduli if that makes any sense.

Dave

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can understand that. I keep trying to convince myself that I could sell my Q5 since I've been gassing for a smith ... but I just can't (so far). What I really want to do is send it to roger and get him to put in a sadowsky pre with VTC.

20. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    That's exactly what I had done to my Q5 a few years ago. I have the barts, and now with the onboard sadowsky pre it's even better!
    [​IMG]