Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Jun 11, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Kevin said they ship all the basses with the Sadowsky Stainless Steal strings. I personally have always used nickel and have been told how much stainless chews up frets.

Sadowsky also has bright nickel. Anyone used any of these and what are your thoughts on them?

I want to give their strings a shot but not sure.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been playing the Nickles and i wouldetn switch to anything else for my Sadowskys.You can ask for Nickles on a bass being built for you.I have allways found the Sadowsky nickles longer lasting and warmer in tone and easier on the fingers then D"addarios or TI's.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    on an alder/ rosewood PJ 5 the Bright nickel are the better sounding string. And yeah, they're little smoother feeling and a little quieter in the finger squeak dept.

As far as fretwear goes....I used the stainless for a little over a year...a little over 300 gigs before the frets just started to show indentation on the high traffic frets. Thats some pretty hard fretwire. IMHO.

On the other hand, I'm lazy and I don't see the need to push down hard and grind the strings into the frets.

Roger doesn't do junk. His basses, straps, cases, hats, T-shirts, polishing cloths.....you name it.....and his strings are all top quality and worth a try.

You should see the embroidery work on one of his t-shirts...the guy just doesn't do second on anything.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My new one has the nickels, and they're bright. A couple years of playing will tone 'em down a little bit.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    I think I'll try the bright nickel. I have been using Ernie Ball because I can buy them direct pretty cheap. I also have a bunch of Warwick strings (which are pretty damn good).

Do you guys hear a lot of differnec between them? Remember that I will be definitely going with a couple Adh/Maple Sads soon too.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Between the Nickle and Steel Sad strings? Not as much as you might think. Sad nickles are BRIGHT.

Between Ernie ball and Sad strings? You bet yer fanny there is a huge difference. So much so that if you actually like the sound of Ernie Ball strings and aren't just buying price point...you may not like the Sadowsky strings.

I got jammed up and got caught without strings once....had to, had to get strings NOW....ended up with a set of slinky's...they were on my PJ about 5 minutes and I pulled the old Sad strings out of the garbage and put them back on the bass.

Between the A/rw Sad and the A/M Sad? Oh yeah, You'll hear it.

Keep in mind that the Sad's are Taper wound and EB's aren't so, there goes that aspect of the new set up and intonation you're waiting for....

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Aw come on, I like both! They're different animals for sure, but both have a solid sound. The Sads are much more complex and refined sounding, the EBs are simple, raw, and punchy. Both are cool.

I've been using the stainless sads on my RV5 and they are great for slap, I just switched to DR High Beams and they are better for fingerstyle and pick, but don't have nearly as good a B string. Roger's stainless low B is the best I've felt.

I've got the sad nickel extra longs on my Q5 and I think they feel great ... thats the next set I think I'll try on the RV5 (after I try out the DR taperwound B with high beams for EADG).

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Stainless for me. Nickels die to fast for my taste

Rob

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Interesting. I heard the exact opposite. That nickel lasts longer than stainless. Hmmm?

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There's a reason we have different forums. Moved to Strings.

11. Hello,
    I played with Sad. stainless steels on my Sadowsky P-bass for about 7 months, then tried a pair of nickles for the hell of it... The overtones on the nickles were pretty distinct... Still pretty bright...

Had them on for about 3 months, did many gigs and recorded with them....

Just put on stainless steels steels again, and have had them on for 1 month... I really prefer the Sad stainless steels... they record great, and have a nice growl... they also seem to make the bass clearer in live situations..
    However, if you dig the Nickle sound, you will be pleased with Sadowsky Nicks....

Peace,
    Darren

12. gilbass

gilbass

Jun 15, 2005
    fife scotland uk
    Hi there i`m a new member and sadowsky owner, i`ve used eb strings for about ten years until i got my sadowsky 5,
    sadowsky stainless strings are the best, go for them.