Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

* Sadowsky Question *

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, Jun 28, 2005.

1. I recently had ALL of my gear stolen. :bawl: The good news is, my homeowners insurance is going to cover it. So the story goes; I am wanting to get a Sadowsky but I kinda need to know what average prices are on used ones. I play 5 stringers. I have to replace a lot more than just my basses, so I need to know if I am going to have to squeaze on certain things. I have searched TB, Bass Central, and the 'bay, but there just aren't that many used ones out there.

I play rock music. Click Here if you would like to hear the style. I kinda like the idea of the P/J configuration. So...

To all the Sadowsky users out there, would this be the best configuration for my current band's style? What is a good average price for a used one? I am very very open to suggestions. Also, I live in Dallas TX and I can't find any place that has any Sadowskys that I could go play.

2. You will find them between 1600 to 1850 depending on the Bass and if it has VTC etc.

E bay is a good way to go or here in the Classified forum, good luck!

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    your band Rocks!

Sadowsky used will run anywhere between 1700-2400 depending on options and condition.

4. i was just about to send you to the sadowsky 5er that was for here in the classified forum...

then i saw that you were the last one to comment. good luck with whatever you get.

5. Wow, thanks a lot man! I appreciate it very much.
    :D :bassist:

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've seen metro fives as low as 1700, but more deluxe NYC fives can push 3200! One just went on the bay for 3170, I just ordered a used one that was almost identical for 2500 from Atlanta Bass Gallery. My suggestion, watch everything at least every couple of days the good stuff goes fast and P/J's are a LOT less common. Also now that are very own
    Big Mike and Tomboulus have the bug, I fear there is going to be a shortage, those guys are like China entering the Oil market! :D

7. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I enjoyed your music.

I have a PJ, and I can tell you it would sound fantastic in those songs. It's going to be very hard for you to find one. No Metro PJs, must be New York.

It's your money, so I say spend the extra bucks and order a PJ from Roger exactly the way you want it. You won't be sorry, but if you are, you can return it with no money lost.

8. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Bass Emporium in Austin has Sadowsky's as far as I can remember.

9. Thanks so much!

Yea, the P/J really just does it for me. I keep seeing the metalic green one like jokerjkny has that is floating around TB. I cry every time I see it. :crying: I also really like BigMike's maroon one. Don't know if I will have the cash to order one new.

10. So... P/J for around $1900 give or take a few hundred? Would that be about right? I have found metros for this but not any NYCs, which as I understand it is the only model you can get the P/J config. in.

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    WHAT? LOL

I agree that you better be fast because I will buy any Sadowsky that is a deal. You are lucky you saw yours before I did! ;)

My two cents:

Metro 5: $1,700 - $2,000
    NYC 5 (no high grade wood): $2,200 - $2,500
    NYC 5 (with highgrade wood): $2,400 - $3,200

NYC PJ5? LOL Try: $2,400 - $3,000 if you can find them.

I paid $2,800 for this one. One owner. Dead Mint. Only one in its color ever made by Sadowsky.
    [​IMG]

You can sometime find great deals. I picked this one up this weekend for $1,700. It was made for Marcus Miller and plays like a mutha! Although the color blows (fixing that!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sorry about your theft...but glad to hear about your insurance. I hope you end up with gear you really love.

Marshall

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hmmm... buy into the oil market, or buy more Sadowsky's...

Tough call, but I think y'all know what direction I'm leaning! :D

14. Yea, thanks a lot for making it hard for a college kid like me to get a good deal on a used Sadowsky. :p That maroon P/J is abolutely amazing. I want to play one real real bad. I have never gotten the chance :(

Btw, who do you play with BigMike?

15. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I kinda like that color... Actually... I really like that color.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I play rock music and have 3 Sadowsky JJ's. They do a great job. I wouldnt discount a jj although the pj is awesome too. I had a pj 4 for a while. It rocked. Try to play a few and judge for yourself. Good luck

Rob

17. Ahh, I would LOVE to. The issue is getting to where one is that I can play. If you would like to send me one of yours so I can check it out, that would be cool.
    :D hahaha

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you are looking for a FIVE STRING sadowsky....used....

$2,700 give or take $200 depending on options.

Excellent+ condition is the norm. Big Mikes recent acusition is the cheapest Sad 5 I've ever heard of and I pay pretty close attention to the used market.

It's also one of the few "banged up" ones
    PJ5's are few and far between on the used market

19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Agreed. The Marcus has a couple chips in it that were touched up. Only by the bottom horn and the top horn by the strap button.

I have had 4 offers on the PJ5 already and the lowest offer was $3,100. All said that they had been looking for one forever and that they virtually NEVER see them come available.

P.S. I just got a line on another J5 Standard with a high grade top. I am going to chek it out and make sure the bass is legite. If so, I am buying it. Sorry :( :bag:

20. Yea, that's cool. I haven't got my insurance check yet, so maybe by the time I get it you will have this new one to play with and won't be looking for another yet.
    :smug: :ninja: