Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    :help: I am sitting here listening jazz on the local NPR, and contemplating the nature of wood.

I am saying to myself: "I have a sadowsky now, and it's all over for me bass wise, except maybe to get another sadowsky." Now, understand, I gave away a truly stunning MTD 535 to Mr. Simon Gonzalez of "H" town, AKA simongpaez, and am at this point quite the happy camper.

I got to pop the 'live band' cherry on this bass, and can thus say this: Thick; no matter where on the neck I was, or how I had the eq set, it was all butter. But......

I fully understand the general principals of ash/maple basses
    vs. the sound of the rosewood/alder combos. That being said, with the addition of the Sadowsky EQ (including the VTC), does the natural midrange of the alder become more apparent? I now such a combo will provide a deeper slap tone, and will be more muddy if not tempered with note length, but will the fingerstyle reflect more midrange?

Oh, and if anyone is interested, I might want to trade my MV5
    in 59 burst + VTC for the same combo in rosewood/alder, hopefully white with a tort shell pic guard.

2. Wow! Dude, what time is it there in Oklahoma City?

I can only answer your question thusly...

yes...now hand over the 59 burst...

you're welcome ;)

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    :bag: Give me a white/tortguard RV5 w/VTC, and a bloomin onion, and you've got a deal!!!

4. sorry to disappoint, but bloomin' onions are inventions of the Outback Steakhouse, which is an American invention. No Outback Steakhouses in Australia, but we have a couple of Chili's and a few Lone Star Steakhouses, and in around Sydney they have Krispy Kreme donuts! :)

Let me see if I have a spare RV5 laying around here....

ummmm...nope none of those, either...

sorry...

haha...

seriously, though...if your diggin' the tone that you're getting...then there's no real reason to change.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uuuhhhhhhhh, wot?

6. +1 I have no idea what the poster is asking or trying to say :meh:

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    just another ash/maple vs. alder/rosewood Sadowsky thread...written before he took the morning shower :D

keep groooovin'
    Fran

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sorry, I tend to slide into verbosity when fueled by beer, and yet the meat and potatoes of my statement (i.e. the third paragraph) is quite clear: do the alder body metro's give you more midrange than the ash body versions, especially in fingerstyle?

I'll keep it simple next time to short utterances of how great Sadowsky is, and how I finally don't have to worry about hi end cabinet makers coveting my MTD for it's burl myrtle. :ninja:

9. In very general terms... yes. However, so much goes into what you are asking... the particular strings, the weight of the body (a heavy ash body might give you better mids than a light alder body), the fretboard material (with RW being a little warmer and somewhat more mid sounding), what amp you are playing through, what cab, etc. etc.

When talking about Sadowsky's specifically, I've played a number of NYC and Metro alder/Rw and Ash/Maple... I found the Metro Alder/Ash to have the most mid punch, primarily (I think) due to the non-routed and rather heavy body. The NYC Alder/RW is next (much lighter bass due to the semi-hollow body)... followed by the NYC and Metro ash/maples (I didn't really notice a lot of difference between the NYC and Metro ash/maple... but did find the three that I've played rather 'thin' sounding to my ear... even with the VTC).

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Call Roger or Kevin and talk to them about what YOUR ear is hearing and what you are looking for. They will be emensely helpful.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I realize the general subjectivity of tone in general, but yet the sonic properties of wood are consistent, especially in the exact same model in the case of the metro's. For what it's worth, thanks for the info.

Maybe I'll just save up enough money to have both wood combo's, or a smattering of sadowsky, a virtual cornucopia of uber-fenders :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I asked the same question about 2 monthes ago. I ended up going for the Sunburst / Tort RV5. At the time I was listening to a lot of blues and it seemed like the thing to do. I also love the look of Tort against sunburst and rosewood.

I play finger style. I ditched the steel strings after a month for DA XLs. I love the tone of the bass live. No problems getting lost in the mix but it does not stand out to much either. And it records well. Punchy and warm and clear. With the treble boost you can still get the pop when desired. But I have not comparison to ash / maple.

Dave

13. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey
    I just got a Sadowsky NYC V4......it has an Ebony board.
    I've just been playing it thru my rig for the first time (rattling the windows and scaring the children :D )

I love the Ebony....it feels so good and is somewhere between the maple and rosewood in sound (i think)

Might be worth considering.

See pics of the bass here;
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191709

Cheers
    Oz

PS
    Any of you Sadowsky players care to share some tone setting tips for good live sounds ;) ?

14. Bwah ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Don't panic, it's still on woods!
    Oh man, am I gonna get ripped for this by KJung and the "Detroit Boys" and maybe others (rant alert! been drinking!).......
    So, here it is:
    At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter does it?!?! :bag:

Sometimes all this drives me a little nuts. I have some real good friends who won't even consider a maple finger board, well, just because it's maple. "I can hear the maple" they say. Funny when I would pull out the old F Bass (ash/maple) and ask them to turn their backs and they swore it was rosewood.

IMO everyone has an ingrained tone/sound that their fingers and ears conspire to make their brain think it's the cats ass of tone. In the end they will fiddle with knobs or woods, trying to in some cases, make ash sound like alder or something, when only listening to themselves on disc/tape with various basses of endless combinations of woods and electronics, to still sound the same. Again, always trying to get that sound in the back of their heads.

Sure, hundreds of you will respond by saying that you sounded different with different basses and blah blah blah, but I'm sure it has more to do with yourself as a player than the bass you playing.

The disclaimer!!!! (so relax, you look tense ;) )
    I know a P Bass won't sound like a Music Man and a MM not like a Jazz and the like, I'm talking in general here, ya dig?!?!
    Again, in general, woods have certain characteristics sure, but at the end of the day, you need to play that bass with that combo of woods.

There are so many things that would severly alter the common preception of wood combos it's really hard to break it down to simple terms. Nickle strings on maple/ash will have a warmer sound than stainless steel on rosewood/alder IMO.
    Go ahead and disect it, as soon as you step on stage it's all a equal anyway. "How did my bass sound? Did the alder one sound warmer than the ash??" Please!
    Or put flats on it! All done!! Might as well just get something that feels good and is light, cause flats level the playing field in a BIG way!!

Ryan the store manager at Low Down Sound has a great story about a festivel he went to. Like 6 bands, basses were something like P Bass, Modulus thingy, Jazz basses (4 and 5 strings from different builders) and an Alembic thrown in too. Various basses, various player, various styles.
    They pretty much all sounded the same according to him. Pretty good, but the same.
    He said Family Man Barrett proved you don't need a low B to get low BTW!

I personally like rosewood/alder these days, but owned a ash/maple F Bass that was every bit as warm sounding as my rose/alder Sadowsky.
    I just sorta know what to expect when you put these two woods together in general terms. Now my heavy ass rosewood/ash 70's Fender is every bit as "warm" as my rose/alder Sadowsky. Go figure :meh:
    I get sucked in too sometimes, all this breaking down of woods and such.

No two pieces of wood will ever sound alike, even if they are from the same tree, think snowflakes.

The real test is gonna be a certin TBr's NYC rosewood/alder vs. another TBr's Metro rosewood/alder of the same color and all! That should be fun!

Give me a Jazz bass of just about any of the "standard" wood combos and I will still sound like me. Sadowsky preferred! ;)

Leo ruined it for us all when he used ash, alder, rosewood and maple in various combos and that is what we though a bass should sound like. I'll bet if he used wenge and bubinga, we would be thinking that was the holy grail (and some do!) and Roger would be using that like mad! Funny, it was more than likly just the most available woods at the time!

Damn need another beer (or three)!!

BTW, going to NAMM. Leaving tomorrow around noon Detroit time. PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers for a hook up!

16. Well said...

17. I don't think so. He should have elaborated to get his point across.
    ;)

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

If you can't hear the difference between Victor wooten's alder/maple and his mahogany/rosewood, when they have the same electronics and he uses the same strings and it's the same player on both, then I don't know what else to say. I can hear the difference in recordings, live stuff etc etc.

I've also had several Fodera's, many of which can be compared directly since they had the same type of construction (neck thru), same pickups and same pre. etc, but different woods. My ash/maple garrison sounded nothing like my walnut/katalox bass. Not even close. As some better versed in basses than I put it, the garrison, while nice, sounded "typical." The beez sounded completely different, and I remember the moment I was able to first hear it. I got a huge uncontrollable grin on my face, and my girlfriend can attest to that as she witnessed it.

This idea that "when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter live because it all sounds the same" is ludicrous IMO. I've heard several bands where I would comment on how good/terrible the bass/guitar/drums/vocals sounded. If you're not discerning with what you listen to and what you like, how can you be properly discerning with the very instruments that you play? The sound of your bass in fact does play a large role in how good you're going to sound. You have to have quality through the entire chain, from your hands down to your cab to sound as good as possible. If the audience "doesn't care" what the musicians sound like why are they listening to you in the first place? Do they not care about art in it's highest form? Music is more than something that I like to "rock out" with.

All this talk about "Wood doesn't matter" etc. is beyond silly in my experience.

When it comes to music, everything matters.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my sad's a maple/ash combo, and no fingerstyle issues here.

i actually think rosewood fingerboards are better for me, while ash bodies have a punch that alder doesnt have.

but again, that's just me, and totally up to you as a player.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have I got a deal for you: My new Zandaflex + power cable reduce ambeint Q waves in the atomosphere by a ratio of 16:1, far more than any other power cable. You will literally hear things you never thought you could hear before when you use this cable. Jared...mates rate....$4000

You also might want to check out my new Tungsten Steel Alloy Stap Buttons. These increase the neutron flux of the wood in your bass by an inordinate amount. The flavour of your tone will speak to you in ways that can only be described as omnimatic. Again, because your a long time user...$2500 per set.