Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike sancho, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've noticed lately when I play a note on the G string on my Metro that the E string rings. This happens even when I take my hand completely off the bass and pluck the G with my index finger. Is this a saddle adjustment or and intonation problem. I'm going to raise the saddle a little tonight and see if it helps. Anybody have any ideas?
  2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd say you have a damping technique issue. Whenever I play my g string open ( I have a 5'er by the way, I have my right thumb anchored on the A string with it sitting sideways on the E and B. Your plucking finger, let's say your middle finger in this example ends up on the D string's g string side so it doesn't vibrate. As I move towards the lower notes my thumb moves to anchor either on the E or B and my left hand is damping the G and whichever other strings closer to the floor. For the B string, my left hand is damping the four other strings. I started giving bass lessons to my ladyfriend and noticed how all kinds of vibrating harmonics and other notes kept coming outta her bass simultaneously to the note she wanted to play. I had to examine how I prevent that from happening because I never really paid attention to how I dampened the strings. I must admit it's a thing of beauty and I don't ever remember working on it or practicing the technique. It just "happened" as I was growing up 40+ years ago when I first started playing bass guitar.

The short answer would be that almost every instrument has some sort of sympathetic vibrating of other strings when you play any note, not just your open G string and that you have to learn how to dampen (muffle/keep the other strings from vibrating) the rest of the guitar to make your problem go away.

Good luck...I hope I'm wrong.