Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky question.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I´ve been considering buying a Sadowsky bass, but since there are no such (to my knowledge) here in Iceland it´s kind of hard to get a "feel" for it.

To what generic basses can you compare the Sadowsky to, that is by feel, neck, body, contour, weight etc.? I am not necesseraly talking about tone, but the feel of the bass. I have been considering the same type of bass that Nino-Brown just got, congratz Nino :D
    Can I pick up some kind of Fender bass and get to know how the Sadowsky will feel?

I understand that this is a poorly phrased question, but it´s the best my mind can muster out right now ;)

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    About the only generic bass I would compare it to is a very nice Jazz bass (if you're looking at a four string Sadowsky).

Do you have any high end basses there?

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I'm considering a 5 string Sadowsky.

High end basses? Hmmm.....We have Fender, Warwick, hmmmm..... I can´t for the love of God remember other "high end basses" here :-(

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played many basses & haven't felt one that felt like this one. The neck is perfect. The weight is very light (but I play Spector's that weigh a <b>TON</b>). It can't compare to any Fender that I've ever played. You would be doing yourself an injustice if you compared it to a Fender. You best bet, if you're really serious about buying one is <b>buy one.</b> Roger gived a 7 day trail period. If you love the bass (you probably will), it's yours. If you don't, return it. The only down-side is you'll be out the shipping cost & I don't know how much it is to ship to Iceland. :(

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks Nino! I appreciate your good comments :)

From all that I´ve heard, it seems like Sadowsky basses are VERY good. I'm going to get one of those..but now just gotta start raising some money (and of course get a permission from the 'lil woman) ;-)
    It will probably cost me arm&leg to ship it to Iceland, but what the hell :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could always come over to the UK and have a short break in London. Both the Bass Centre and the Gallery have had Sadowsky basses in stock the last time I was there. You could try all sorts of other "high end" basses as well and see if Sadowsky is really the right bass for you.

You're not that far from London and I'm sure you could get a good deal on an off-peak 2-3 day "City Break". The Bass Centre is quite near the Tower of London, Tower Bridge etc so you can combine sight-seeing and bring friends/relatives! ;)

I wouldn't spend out all that money on a bass without trying it at least once.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks Bruce, why hadn´t I thougt of that before? I have always wanted to go to London anyways.. :)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member