Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Budbear, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    I have just acquired a Standard 4 dated 2/97. It has the older preamp wired with the mini-switch for active/passive. I would like to update this preamp by adding the VTC. Since the VTC is a push/pull switch that does the job of the mini-switch, that will leave me with dilemma. What do I do with the mini-switch? I don't want to leave a hole in the bass, nor do I want a dead switch just sitting there. What can I use it for? Has anyone else faced this problem? How did you solve it? Opinions? Here's a photo.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31281&stc=1&d=1142395849

Attached Files:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My advice? Call Roger. Maybe he can figure out how to make that switch do something afterwards, or do a supreme patch job.

3. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    The switch will still function as a active/ passive switch it has nothing to do with the VTC control .The VTC will work in passive or active mode.When you buy the kit Roger will ask you how it is now and will send you the proper kit to mod yours.You will repalce the treble pot with the new VTC and you will replace the Bass pot with a Stacked Treble?Bass pot.There will be instructions and if not clear call Roger.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You could use it for something like series/parallel switching or (my fav mod) an 'all-pots-bypass' capability where the switch will cuase the Volume and VTC controls to be taken out of the signal path, so signal flows straight from pickups to Blend and then on to the preamp (which may also be disengaged by pulling up the VTC).

Or... just leave it for now, even if disconnected. Doesn't look bad, doesn't get in the way, and you (or the next owner) may find a use for it later.

5. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    The hole in the body where the Stacked pots will go will have to be drilled slightly larger to fit .If you done have a drill index have someone the works on guitars for a living do it!

6. Budbear

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    I don't live that far from Roger's shop. I intend to have him do the mod. I'm OK with a soldering iron, but a smart man knows his limitations.:)

7. If you don't need the switch for anything else you could make it a kill switch - I love kill switches on guitar, you can get some cool effects with them...

Good luck!

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I have a '90 Sadowsky with the same setup. I put the VTC in and just left the switch in place, although it does nothing now. I'm so used to the look that it doesn't bother me.

Here's what to do with the orphaned switch. Lee Sklar tells the story of how he had a bass with a dummy switch on it that did nothing. He called it "The Producer Switch". If a producer said, "Hey, Lee, I don't care for that bass sound, can you change it a little?", Lee would comply, and flick the switch - which, of course, did nothing. Lee would ask the producer in question if he liked the change in tone, and the producer would usually say "yes" :p

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The switch on my 24-5 was converted to a mute switch -- it does come in handy.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, great story. Definately something I think Mr. Sklar would say.

11. Budbear

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    That's a great Lee Sklar story. LMAO.
    The mute switch sounds sensible. I'm thinking of it as a input switch, so the bass could stay plugged in without running the battery down. Keep sending me your ideas, I appreciate them all. This is why TB is such a great resource.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats on the bass, You will enjoy. i could never wander into that shop, it would destroy my credit rating!

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Great bass. Have the shop do the work. It will be perfect when its done. Here is my standard 4

Rob

Attached Files:

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Make the switch a mute/ off/on switch. That is what I did and I loved it.

15. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, that's the bass that's now mine.

16. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Hah hah. When we do smaller gigs I usually eq the vocal mikes through our powered mixer. When the singers bitch about the tone I hit the 80hz shelf button on and off and ask if thats better. The answer is always yes.:D

17. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Hey Rob, that is a killer top and I love the finish!

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :crying:

19. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

What???? :(

20. bikeplate