1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by s_wood, Jul 19, 2007.

1. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    ...I know, we are all sick of these... :crying:

Anyway, I am basically an Alembic guy, but I am thinking of adding a Sadowsky to the arsenal for those gigs where a Fenderish bass is needed. Can someone help me understand the tone differences between a NYC Modern 5 and an NYC 5 Vintage P/J?

Thanks in advance.

2. I would go to the Basstasters page for sound samples; there's a link on the Sadowsky site. But for classic Fenderish I think, and obviously to me, the Sadowsky PJ or JJ would be the way to go.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah the modern is kind of Sadowskys take on the Ken Smith, The sound is real immediate, precise and clear (don't get sloppy playing one). If you want Fenderish, you want a JJ or PJ.

4. Per the above posts, the Modern 5 has nothing to do with a 'Fenderish' tone. Actually, the Modern is closer in tone to your Alembic than it is to the J model Sadowsky's.

5. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Very helpful stuff so far...thanks.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1 on the above, but remember you can order a Modern 5-24 with Jazz Bass pickup spacing, so it's more about playability and having 24 frets. I Modern with J-Bass pickup spacing won't have much room for slapping.

About playability, I believe the Modern has a slight thinner neck.

Although, a P/J setup will sound somewhat similar to a Modern, because the D and G string will have the neck pole pieces closer to the bridge. Still the Modern has the bridge pickup closer to the bridge than a P/J, plus the modern has soapbar humbuckers.