1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marlat, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Quick question for all the Sadowsky guys out there. How much classic "p" would I likely get out of a Vintage P/J 4 with an alder body and rosewood fingerboard?

I would also probably get a quilted maple top on it, but I think the effect of that should be fairly negligible. I already have a Lakland US JO (ash/maple) and can't really justify another ash/maple 4, but would quite like a more traditional sounding 4 string with P capability.

Is a Sadowsky p/j 4 the bass I am looking for?

2. I have that exact Sadowsky bass and to my ears it's P heaven.

Spalted maple top on alder with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. I think the maple top adds very little to the tone of the alder. Can you notice a difference? You'll never know. Even two alder basses will sound a bit different to those with platinum ears.

Some will say the J pup affects the tone due to magnetic pull and a P bass is very sexy. However, I love being able to get the combined PJ sound for both fingerstyle and slap 'n' pop. Think Wooten's A SHOW OF HANDS tone.

SadowskyspaltmaplePJ4BrazRW.
    PJandJtopside.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Can you post pics?

I would love to get a look at a few models as there arn't many on the website. I was thinking of getting transparent red with a matching headstock and a white pickguard.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    When it comes to P-bass tone, my Sadowsky's "P-ness" keeps up with
    my '71 P-bass just fine. I recommend you get the VTC on your instrument.

Have you already seen mine? It's a 2006 Sadowsky V4 P/J with...
    Quilted maple top AAAA
    Dark transparent cherry finish
    Brazilian rosewood fingerboard
    Parchment pickguard
    Chambered Alder Body
    Chrome hardware
    Vintage amber headstock
    Vintage Tone Control

smaller_0009.

small_000_0020.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Jim Carr - Your bass is pretty much exactly what I want except with a matching headstock and perhaps a slightly lighter finish (ie transparent red) - but man that finish is sexy! :eek:

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Thanks. I talked to Kevin Drexler at Sadowsky by email and by phone
    quite a bit. His advice was very helpful.

The Brazilian rosewood FB, IMO, really warms up the tone. My headstock
    is amber tinted. I considered a matching headstock, but decided that
    having the option to return the instrument was more important to me.
    Needless to say, the instrument is absolutely the best bass I have ever
    had. :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jim...that is stunning. Wow.

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

I can't say enough about the beautiful build quality of my bass. The basic
    features were borrowed from a 5-string version that is somewhere in the
    world. I love the "briar pipe" color that this Sadowsky photo shows:

4320_full.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Put simply, this is the finest all-around bass I've ever played.

IMG_0393.

It does a great P tone, and a wonderful PJ sound as well, which I like most of all. I'm not buying the magnetic "pull" argument about the addition of the J pickup -- from a physics standpoint, the magnetic force exerted by the J pickup is negligible compared to the high tension force of the string. I'd say any difference between it and a standard Sadowsky P would more likely be the result of either different wiring or the inevitable variation between different basses, even when they're made from the same materials.

IMO, adding a J-pickup is a no-lose proposition. On mine, there is extra routing under the PG and an extra J pickup and pickguard, so that it can be converted to a regular Jazz bass in about 10-15 minutes. It's staying as a PJ for the foreseeable future, but it might add to the resale value down the road. (Of course, I'm not selling it, so that's not a big consideration for me).

Do it.

BTW, the Brazilian rosewood fretboard is really nice.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Ive had two NYC pj's and now have a metro hybrid. They all kill!! If you want a vintage P vibe, the vtc will help you get that. You can always run the bass passive, also. You'll find the the 2 band eq rocks, though!!

Rob

M1802.