Sadowsky Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Jan 6, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I don't want this to become a Sadowsky bashing or anything like that, but I wonder if anyone else has run into the same issue that I had...

I have owned 4 Sadowsky's over the past 13 years:
    (2) 4-String Jazz w/ Sadowsky Pickups
    (1) 4-String Jazz w/ EMG Pickups
    (1) 5-String w/ EMG Soapbars

I absolutely loved the basses, but found that with each of them, the D and G string had a thinner sound and seemed to get lost in the mix compared to the other strings. (I'd tried different gauges of strings and different amps as well)

Aside from that, they were perfect. There is just something that feels right playing a Sadowsky, but the music I was playing just called for something a little more agressive.
    I'm itching to get myself another Sadowsky, but I'm just a bit concerned with having the same issues with the D and G strings.

I'm guessing that it may be because of the frequencies the EQ is set at to get that "Sadowsky Sound"...?

I've got my eye on a nice 4-string P/J Sadowsky that I'm hoping may eliminate some of the thin-ness of the J/J configuration (?)

Sorry for the legnth of this post. I appreciate any comments.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have no problem w/the higher strings not cutting through. I feel that the basses sound is very well balanced.

Maybe it needed the p/u's raised by the DG & slightly lowered by the BEA.

Did other people that played your basses notice this problem?
  3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I remember reading a thread about this that was going on at the Sadowsky Club on Yahoo, so at least I knew it wasn't *just* me, but there didn't seem to be much talk of how to correct it.

As far as others noticing it - yeah, when I had my first Sadowsky I also owned a Kubicki and my band really noticed a difference in the upper mids.
    Also, when I had my 5-string (like yours Nino) I also owned a (sorry Roger) Lakland for a short time and that particular band noticed the same thing...

Like I said, I'm still really drawn to the Sadowsky's, so I'm sure I'll end up with another one very soon. Even if it means trying out different pickups, etc.

All of my basses had maple necks, so maybe a rosewood board would warm things up a bit, huh?
    Also, what do you think of a P/J as opposed to the J/J? I loved the P/J on my Spectors, so it can't sound all that bad...
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Have you considered talking to Roger about it? I'm sure he'd like to keep you as a customer.