1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Quilt Top + Big Singles = ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ... my next sadowsky?

sweet jeebus, that is one SWEET bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    my lord.

that thign is awesome!

3. looks nice with the black hardware

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played that very bass at Winter NAMM, and guess what? It didn't take me very long to talk to Roger about making me a 4-string with a birdseye maple board and Big Singles. :D

Tom.

5. It comes with the beanie? Otherwise no way.

I had Big Singles in my Modern; I preferred the Sad soaps for slap. For fingerstyle and pick the Big Singles are HUGE sounding. Also, I think they look better on the figured top than the vintage style basses.

6. That IS a simply stunning bass.

7. Look at the knob settings: new funk and old school.

8. +1... if my eyes are working... Marcus has both pickups on full, and had dialed in a touch of mid scoop by boosting the bass and treble... VTC open. Michael has the tone controls flat, the VTC dialed back a touch to soften the top end, and the bridge pickup favored a touch for more clarity and note definition.

This is a beautiful bass. I hear those Big Singles as closer to the Seymour soapbars that are in the Modern than a J bass pickup.. they have fat mids, a top end that is closer to my ear to the Sadowsky HC J's than the single coil J's, and are bigger and more soapbar sounding in the mids than a true J pickup.

Based on my experience with these pickups in a couple of Nordy's I've played, these would be a good option if you wanted to move the MV model away from a J type tone and closer to a fatter, humbucker type tone (kind of halfway between the Modern and the MV). Nice if that's what you are looking for, and aesthetically, those pickups look GREAT with that bass.

I also agree these pickups look better in a J with a fancy top... they are a bit of a disconnect with a more standard J look, but really look great with that fancy top... really reinforces the 'hybrid, updated' look and tone!

9. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    So they finally got around to designing a P-90 for bass, huh? :bag: :D

10. Roger instructed me to keep my beanie on and controls as pictured, esp the volume pot.
    This really helps the music breathe and appear unfettered.

Jimbassbeaniegoggles.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Big Singles = Greatest. Pickups. Ever.

12. One more thing to consider IMO... the Big Splits sound VERY similar to my ear to the Big Singles.... much more subtle than the typical 'single coil versus split coil' J style pickup difference.

You get 98% similar sound to the Big Singles with the Big Splits (in my non-direct A/Bing... 100%) with no buzz or hum.

Since these pickups are fat enough sounding to truly solo the bridge pickup, I would personally recommend the Big Splits over the Big Singles... period!

13. I forgot who had this in their signature, but "hum is overrated." :smug:

Big singles are phenomenal pickups.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    You are SO outa' control... :D

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, nice observation. Man, I would have LOVED to hear him play that bass.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    This is also what I've read, tho I've only briefly played a set. They were very close to being what I ordered in a bass due soon.

17. funky hobbit

funky hobbit

Apr 6, 2005
    England
    Here you go Vic

Here is the bass in action,played by a fantastic Hungarian Bass Player Tamas Barabas

18. Those guys are so awesome; I feel like crap.

Great sound J bass with the Nordies.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sweetness! great playing.

i'd totally make that face too if i had finished playing this sad. haha...

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dang, wish he'd slapped it. Cool vids tho!!