1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky - Recommend another single coil pickup? (Other than Nordstrand)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scyzoryk, Mar 28, 2015.

1. scyzoryk

scyzoryk

Jan 12, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    I used to have a Sadowsky UV70 with a set of Nordstrand 70's wind single coil pickups installed. The sound was fantastic; fat, warm, and defined. I used to get lots of complements.

Eventually I got rid of that bass and now I have a Sadowsky RV5 Metro with the same Nordstrand 70's wind pickups installed, and although it sounds great, it just doesn't seem to have the same "it" factor that my UV70 had. Also, far less complements from the sound guys I'm working with! Could it be the 60's pickup spacing on the RV5 compared to the UV70, or the 1-1.5lb difference in weight that change the tonal characteristics?

Overall I'm looking for some pickups that are a lot more aggressive than the Nordstrand single coils as I think they're too polite in this bass. Any recommendations?

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I dont think there is a more aggressive jazz pickup than a nordstrand. What wood combo was the UV70? RV5s all about round buttery fatness.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the 60's wind set is more aggressive than the 70's wind. dont know if fralin offers a 5 string set in the smaller cases, but if they do, that might do the trick. also the seymour duncan sj5 70-74 set would do what youre looking for.

4. scyzoryk

scyzoryk

Jan 12, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    After spending a few hours browsing jazz pickup threads (including many informative posts by you, narud), someone suggested experimenting with pickup heights. I always thought the height of my pickups on the RV5 were high enough but I just raised the back pickups much closer to the strings -- WOW -- a difference between night and day. Grindy, burpy back pickup tone is HERE and this was more or less what I had with the UV70. Thrilled!