1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky Releases Re-Engineered Line of Flatwound Strings for Bass and Guitar

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Sadowsky Guitars is proud to announce the official release of their new Blue Label Flatwound strings for bass and guitar.

In a continuing process of refinement, these newly re-engineered flatwound strings incorporate the best qualities of the original Black Label and Blue Label Flatwounds. The result is improved tone, feel, and consistency. Each string is precision wound on a cello string winder for unequalled quality with a stainless wrap on hex core.

The bass flatwounds are superb for fretless basses or for that classic Motown sound. The guitar flatwound strings are equally outstanding for a classic jazz guitar tone.

“Our challenge was to create a string with a true vintage tone and feel that retains a strong fundamental to sit well in the mix,” stated Roger Sadowsky. “Consistency has historically been an issue with all flatwound strings, with sets containing a high frequency of defective strings. Significantly improved consistency was a priority of our new design, especially given the cost and longevity of flatwound strings.”

Available now from Sadowsky dealers and direct from the Sadowsky online store . The 4-string bass set is available in 40-100 and 45-105 gauges for $48-$50 and the 5-string bass set is available in 40-125T and 45-130T gauges for $67-$72.

Sadowsky_Flatwound_Bass.

2. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Good to hear you've improved on an already excellent family of strings.

3. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I'd be interested in knowing how they compare to the D'Addario Chrome flats that I use.

RedJag and jmattbassplaya like this.
  4. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Black labels are hands down the best flats I've ever played. Would be interested to see how these compare to the black labels... And also to La Bella deep talking flats.

Sadowsky likes this.
  5. Their pricing could be better

ColdEye, groooooove and seamus bass like this.
  6. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just got a set of Sadowsky Blue 5-string Flats in the mail today. I wonder of they are these new ones. Package say SBF45B-Blue.

7. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Considering the construction quality, the excellent service, and the fact that most players change their flats every two years if ever, I think they are pretty reasonably priced.

8. lhindrum

lhindrum

Mar 3, 2013
    I just got some too on Friday and was wondering the same thing. Have you tried yours yet?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. babaseen

babaseen The New M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Got mine on Saturday (light gauge, 5 string) and replaced the Labella Low Tension Flats that I thought were great in regards to tension and tone, especially the B string. I need to let these settle in for a month or so before I can provide any critique but for some reason these Sadowsky's have a very musical quality to them, which may just be the initial brightness especially the G string. Certainly the tension is a bit more than the LTF's so I need to get used to them, but I think they will be just fine. I'm trying to decide on whether I like them with a mute or without (the LTF's were great with a mute).

Sadowsky, deepestend and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. projectapollo

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I think they are the new ones, the package number matches the Sadowsky web site. I put them on today and rehearsed. 5-string, regulars. So far I am impressed. They feel good, consistency between string is good, agree with above comment on musicality. The fundamental is strong and satisfying when landing on power chords. I was reading an article last night on strings saying that the higher gauge sets require less tension and therefore have more focus on the fundamental. I think I have that right. Anyhow, the fundamental sounds very solid on this set. I took off a set of EBMM flat cobalts (same gauge). First impression I like the Sadowsky branded strings more. They do make my Sadowsky Metroline 5-string sound like a very fine instrument.

Sadowsky and Pbassmanca like this.
  11. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Higher gauge strings require more tension.

DaveAceofBass, physics and McFarlin like this.
  12. lhindrum

lhindrum

Mar 3, 2013
    Ok, good to hear. I haven't had a chance to try mine yet.

13. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Checked their website, didn't see any mention of extra long scale scale 5 string sets that I'd need for 35" scale Lakland. Anyone know if that's on the radar?

14. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Both of those sets should be the new ones.

lhindrum likes this.
  15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I’ll ask Roger for you.

Ken Lloyd likes this.
  16. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Should be the new ones.

lhindrum likes this.
  17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    What would sound more like Roto 77s on a fretted 5-string... blue or black?

18. projectapollo

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    Yes, thanks you for that. A thinner string requires less tension and results in more fundamental but more floppiness. Maybe I have it this time! But - this new Sadowsky flat does produce a very solid fundamental.

19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    For anyone interested: when we put out the new flatwound strings, we realized that it would help if we detailed how we change strings in the shop. We wrote it all out and put up a quick video:

porterbass likes this.
  20. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Any EB Cobalt Flat users tried these yet?
    Thinking about trying these but they're almost double the price of the Cobalt Flats I like.

Honk'n_down-low likes this.