Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky "Reverse" PJ Config???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 24, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I had a reverse P on a Benavente Vortex. I've also played a buddy of mines sadowsky with a reverse P. I tightens up the B string so its not boomy and gives a little more bottom to the D & G string's.

I know on his sadowsky you could flip flop the P by removing the pickguard and another came with his bass to install after rotating the pickups.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

like i said, i already read what Roger and what Frank at the shop already told me.

i just wanted to get players' opinions who's had the mod done.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've played some reverse-P Fender-style basses. I thought they sounded fine, but didn't think they sounded like P-basses. But I've never tried the same bass in both configs, so take that FWIW.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Fuzz,

what bass was this? and how did the tone compare to the regular pbass sound?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Two P-reverses were Franken-fenders (Warmoth maybe?), and I believe another was ESP. To my ears, the DG strings have a rounder sound, and the EA strings are growlier but with less bass. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (some prefer it), but I don't think it sounds much like the split-coil P-bass in standard config. Note that I've always loved P-basses, so maybe I notice the difference more than most others would.

FWIW I've also played reverse-P basses by Jackson, BC Rich, and Spector, but as those were all neck-thrus the comparison doesn't apply.

I must add that it's *very* cool that the vintage PJ Sadowskys are routed for both configs.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got a modified Fender P-bass (American Std ash body, Warmoth maple neck, DiMarzio pups, Demeter pre-amp), and routed out the front (P) pickup so that I could try the pickup in either configuration (I also ordered a pikcguard with Warmoth with the P-pickup reversed for this experiment).

In the end, I preferred the sound of the "normal" P-pickup configuration. Both configurations sounded good, especially for fingerstyle playing, but the reverse-P pickup wasn't quite getting me one specific tone that I wanted: the Ready-Freddy Washington slap sound. That said, thje reverse configuration definitely sounded more like a good Spector (which also has a reverse-P), which is also very cool. I really like the 'standard' P-pickup slap sound, so I opted to return the pickup to its normal configuration.

My bottom line: both configs sounded good, it's up to you whether you prefer a "standard" P-bass slap sound, or a "Spector" sound.