Sadowsky "Reverse" PJ Config???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 24, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I had a reverse P on a Benavente Vortex. I've also played a buddy of mines sadowsky with a reverse P. I tightens up the B string so its not boomy and gives a little more bottom to the D & G string's.

I know on his sadowsky you could flip flop the P by removing the pickguard and another came with his bass to install after rotating the pickups.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

like i said, i already read what Roger and what Frank at the shop already told me.

i just wanted to get players' opinions who's had the mod done.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've played some reverse-P Fender-style basses. I thought they sounded fine, but didn't think they sounded like P-basses. But I've never tried the same bass in both configs, so take that FWIW.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Fuzz,

what bass was this? and how did the tone compare to the regular pbass sound?
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Two P-reverses were Franken-fenders (Warmoth maybe?), and I believe another was ESP. To my ears, the DG strings have a rounder sound, and the EA strings are growlier but with less bass. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (some prefer it), but I don't think it sounds much like the split-coil P-bass in standard config. Note that I've always loved P-basses, so maybe I notice the difference more than most others would.

FWIW I've also played reverse-P basses by Jackson, BC Rich, and Spector, but as those were all neck-thrus the comparison doesn't apply.

I must add that it's *very* cool that the vintage PJ Sadowskys are routed for both configs.
  7. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got a modified Fender P-bass (American Std ash body, Warmoth maple neck, DiMarzio pups, Demeter pre-amp), and routed out the front (P) pickup so that I could try the pickup in either configuration (I also ordered a pikcguard with Warmoth with the P-pickup reversed for this experiment).

In the end, I preferred the sound of the "normal" P-pickup configuration. Both configurations sounded good, especially for fingerstyle playing, but the reverse-P pickup wasn't quite getting me one specific tone that I wanted: the Ready-Freddy Washington slap sound. That said, thje reverse configuration definitely sounded more like a good Spector (which also has a reverse-P), which is also very cool. I really like the 'standard' P-pickup slap sound, so I opted to return the pickup to its normal configuration.

My bottom line: both configs sounded good, it's up to you whether you prefer a "standard" P-bass slap sound, or a "Spector" sound.