Sadowsky Roll Call

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 8, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

just wanted to see what beauties y'all have. and pleez, no pics from their website. God knows i've drooled over every one. :D
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Click on the link in my Signature & click on the 1st 3 links on that site. :)
  3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    This one is mine and was never posted on the Sadowsky site. The picture is bit dark and grainy. In person, the sherwood green is lighter and more metallic looking and thr pickguard doesn't look like melted chiclets.

I just put the Sadowsky strings on after using DR High Beams for several weeks. The Sadowsky strings sound better than I remember--rounder tone and less prone to excess noise from my finger style of player. It's my #1 bass and I have few...not as many as Nino though. :) I think I'm gonna sell some other basses and buy another Sadowsky. ;)

4. Here's mine...

Sadowsky 5 string fretless:

Sadowsky Vintage 5 fretted:

Roger crafts the best basses I have ever played.

Simply flawless.

Always sound "right".
  5. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    here's my baby.
    i bought it brand new in 1992, and it is still my main bass that i play.
  6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey guys... I own two, a PJ-5 and a Vintage 5.. I tried loading them in, but the files are too big... E-mail me for pics if you'd like.... I love mine too.. Steven.... SCT1422@MSN.COM
  7. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
  8. Wow. I'm amazed every time I see one of those Vintage jazz-style basses. Do they really look that flawless and purdy in person?
  9. No...

They look better!

10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    sorry for bad quality pics:
  11. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that sherwood green one is very very nice. sherwood G and goldtop are my fav colors for basses and guitars. speaking of which, Basuki's goldtopped one is dammed nice too. and that spalted top one... holy mother, Rader... Nino, you're slowly but surely making me a believer in blue again. LOL! that matching headstocked one is gorgeous. and craigers, despite the photo, i'm sure that sunburst is a killer bass.

Some questions, tho:

hey KPO,
    any more comments on the Sadowsky strings? are they roundwound? nickel? i'm thinking of getting a set cause of comments similar to yours. Anyone know how they compare to Thomastik-Infeld nickel Jazz Roundwounds?

for the others,

what bridge are y'all using? the schaller or Badass II? is there a diff in tone? does the weightier Bdass makes things unbalanced? or does it really matter?
  13. I use Roger's bridge. I'm not sure who makes it. It is a very meaty bridge but my basses are light (9.5 lbs) and balance very well.

I have been using Sadowsky strings for 2 years on the fretted - 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. I haven't thied that particular TI string, but have tried DRs, Exilir and a couple others and prefer the Sadowsky strings on the fretted.

14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Sorry about the poor-quality pic; it's a video still (at least I followed the rules though ;) ). I use Labella Slappers, if anyone cares. Same gauge as Sadowsky strings (also made by LaBella, I believe), but nickel-plated steel. They work for me.
    adivin likes this.
  15. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i just have roger's standard bridge on my bass as well. i've never had a problem with anything on my sadowsky.
  16. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    shore line gold with passive tone control TI Flats
  17. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Hi, I can't say how the TI's will sound compared to the Sadowskys. Never tried them, but compared to DRs, the Sadowsky roundwound strings are a bit warmer and rounder toned--not as bright as the DR low riders or hi beams. I believe the Sadowsky strings are built to his spec by Labella. Another good thing about Sadowsky strings are that they are pretty competitively priced (cheap!) imho.

My vintage 4 has the bridge custom made for Sadowsky by HipShot.

Thanks for the compliments. It is a great bass.
  18. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    here's a photo of me and "heather" ... (all my basses have girl's names) ... mine is seafoam green, kinda rare, i guess ... hugh mcdonald played a sfg fiver on the last bonjovi tour ... was on roger's site as a pre-owned for awhile ...

people either love the color or hate it ... personally, i think it's pretty attention-getting ... it wasn't my first choice color ... i stopped in to the sadowsky shop one day and bought it right off the wall ... i plan on getting another one soon ... olympic white, matching headstock, P/J with passive tone ... this one is the stock jazz configuration with no passive tone control ... it does have a hipshot that i use occasionally ...

best bass i have ever owned ... compliments on my sound increased by 100% after i got it ... and that's from drunks at gigs and musicians alike! :)
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

stop it stop it stop it stop it stop it!!!

J/k... carry on! :D
  20. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey, kcdbass, how old are you? You look pretty young to be using something like that, LOL.