1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky RV5 Olympic White

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gruuv, Apr 19, 2006.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Ok, ok, I know. . . I'm going to catch poop for this, but it must be done. Well, it might not have to be done... we'll see. Everyone hates feelers, so I hate to post one but that's the way it goes. This is Mikebass's old one, I just bought this beast, played it at church last week through my Epi/Crest/Epi rig and it was gooooood. Plays great, sounds great, but I am bloated something fierce and the only thing to ease the pain is a 535. So, here we go! $1950 plus shipping, Paypal ok, but buyer must add fees. A Roger fret job, VTC installed, this is the real deal. Thanks to jl for the pictures. . . I've got large pictures via e-mail to those interested.

**Forgot to mention that it comes with straplocks installed as well**

Attached Files:

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    :eek: :scowl:

Just beating everyone to the punch. ;) Sweet bass!

Marshall

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very sweet bass, almost as nice as my old RV5. Mike regretts selling!

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    You guys are KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I didn't do it when jl had it, but how 'bout a nice Smith BSR 5 J-MW???

Dammit you guys!!

5. ryanisabassist

ryanisabassist

Apr 16, 2006
    sorry, maybe i'm just an idiot. but what's a "feeler"? sweet bass!!!!! i want it, but i have one coming soon from a great luthier. but i might have to sell that one cuz i'm on the same boat here. hahaha i want a 535 so bad!!!

6. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Geez, when it sold last week I posted a reply indicating I was glad that it was gone so I wouldn't have to think about it, and NOW look what happened!

I may have to "check my finances" (which is musician code for talking talk my wife into letting me get it...).

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If anyone wants to trade this for an MS5 (maple board) lemme know! I was looking for a rosewood board and couldn't find one.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I just returned from a rehearsal for a big band. . . doing some funk stuff, Jungle Boogie and Carwash and some jazz tunes as well. This bass does kill. I used my MS5 with this group about 6-8 months ago filling in, as I'm doing now. The RV5 is so much bigger sounding to me (not trying to lay this on you, Woodchuck, I swear :)). I prefer the alder to the swamp though. But I am jonesing for a 535 sooooo badly. It would be a much more difficult decision parting with this if a friend in town hadn't bought Burk's NAMM RV5 a couple months back. So I know if I want this vibe I can have it by borrowing his. But the 535. . .

And Mike, I wish I could help you out and take the Smith off yer hands, but I gots to have the cash fo' the MTD.

9. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I prefer the alder/rosewood too. I've had of couple of Sadowsky 5 ash/maple combos in the past, but my current alder RV4 sounds better to my ears anyway. There are many who prefer maple though.

10. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Very true. . . if I could have my way, I think I'd actually have alder/maple - love that combo.

Any word from the Mrs? :smug:

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    The following comment is completely useless, but I used to have a 535 and replaced it with a Sadowsky and there has been no turning back.

The Sadowsky is so much more comfortable to play and it sounds so much better (warmer, punchier) than the 535 I had (ash body, no top, maple neck, wenge fretboard).

There. Anyhow, I'm lefty.

12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    See, Sadowsky's can even make lefties sound good!!!

13. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey lefty,

That's not useless. . . good to know. I've done enough of the "buying blind," so to speak, that I'm not going to do it again if at all possible. But I had the opportunity to play a 535 the other day that had almost exactly the wood combo that I'm after and it was what I'm looking for. I think it all depends on whether or not you prefer the vintage or the modern vibe. I was at a gig the other day and started playing "Glide" (Pleasure) and the RV5 nailed the tone of that vintage Fender. It's a great tone, no doubt and I do dig it. But, I'm into that ultra deep, modern thang the 535 has. I love it for the gospel I play, and the R&B tunes, such a deep ultra clear tone, and a friend has an RV5 like mine so... Wait a minute, this thread is about this RV5. . .

BUY MY BASS! :D

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    MikeBass: :spit:

gruuv: on the other hand, I had to sell the 535 to get the Sadowsky. If I could have kept both, I would have. I was just listening to a recording I did with the 535 with the neck pickup only, and it sounds darn good. See, I told you my comments are random at best.

Just stay away from Foderas, especially the Matt Garrison 5s.

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Wow, that hurt!!! Your a mean one huh?!?!
    ;)

16. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Bump for straplocks I forgot to mention. . .

17. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Tempted, very tempted. If my tax return comes in soon, I'll send a more serious PM. I love that color combo. White/Tort/Rosewood. Classic.

Not having compared an Alder/Rosewood Sad to an Ash/Maple, just not sure which I would prefer. I like a bright, clear bass that I can warm up typically. When I need the brightness and sparkle, does the Alder/Rosewood Sad deliver? How is the slap tone?

With the VTC option, your Sad looks like a great value. Good luck.

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey,

I can say, without hesitation, that this bass has as much sparkle as the ash/maple Sadowsky's I've owned/played. I've played a friend's MV5 and I've owned an MS5 and an NYC ash/maple Standard 5. . . this one:
    [​IMG]

I found that the MS5, although it was a great playing bass, did not have nearly the bite that this RV5 does when slapping, and the NYC had as much, but certainly no more. The RV5 has more punch and sounds fuller to boot. This is not a sales tactic either, that is why I sold the MS5.

Thanks for the interest. . .

19. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Gruuv. My sound and style have been gravitating to more bite and mid punch lately. I've been using my Lakland DJ5 a lot, but I have always lusted for a Sadowsky. I think the VTC option would be a must and may fill my desire for a mid control. I am assuming that dialing down the VTC gives a darker, more middy tone?

To be honest, I just don't have the hamilton's right now to jump on your RV5, but as I said, it the tax return is timely, that gets me close enough. No matter what, best of luck. Who knows. She could be mine, oh yes, she could be mine. :hyper: Timing is everything. Gary

20. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I have a bass just like it... this bass should be gone by now - it's a killer.