1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky SA-200 Should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by millsbass5, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Why does this happen? Ever since I've taken my "break/hiatus" from my band,I've had two friends contacting me,offering to sell me some gear.
    The friend,a studio owner/operator,called me and offered to sell me his Sadowsky SA-200 tube amp for $1,200.00. I remember reading rave reviews when this came out years ago. I've just never been a tube amp kinda guy. I'm more into a modern-type tone.
    Anyone have any experience with these? I'm really hooked on the "quickness" of a SS rig. Is this head capable of "doing it all?" Also,does the price seem fair? Or should I haggle a little? The guy has really gave my band some quality studio time in the past for literally next to nothing. If I do decide to jump on it,I don't wanna appear to be beatin' him up too bad on the thing.;).Opinions?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. You should give me his info so I can paypal his $1200 this second.

3. Jefe

Jefe Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    No. It will not do what you want. Also, shipping to Canada is expensive. You will want me to take that off your buddy's hands. ;)
    Seriously, that is a smoking deal and I will gladly buy it if you decide you don't want it.....Seriously.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Amazing deal. Almost too good to be true.

If you hate it you can flip it at a hefty profit.

It's a very quick and clean sounding tube amp. Not vintage or mushy. Warm, fat, lush, sweet.

YouTube it.

5. Hmmm..... I have a sneaking suspicion that I might pursue his offer. I could care less about it's size/weight when it comes to achieving the tone I'm after.

When it comes to tone,I'm not gonna let 1 more trip in and out of the club each way determine my decision. That's just pure laziness,IMO. That's ALWAYS seemed so corny to me. Now,enter a back problem into the equation,I'd understand. Gonna have to do a little research on the resale value,though.

6. Quick & clean,huh? Gears are turnin'......

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not heavy at all as far as tubers go. I think it's in the 40ish lb. range.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You like that SS sound, sooooooooooooo I'll tell you what, you have him sell it to me for $1200, and I'll throw a GK MB500 in mint shape your way.

9. Damn,looks like I'm gonna have to get up to speed on this tube stuff:eyebrow:.......

10. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    All kidding aside, they're not for everybody. Some hate the weight, others the size, and some just like the quicker punchier tone of a SS amp. Different strokes etc. And I wasn't kidding about my offer either.

11. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    AE212?

12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Steve,
    I have two Walter Woods bass amps that each individually cost more than the SA-200 you're looking at. If I were in your shoes, and had the financial means to buy, I would and my amps produce far more power, with great EQ sections, and at less than a quarter of the weight. Even if you end up hating it, as you've noticed, people will be lining up to take it of you're hands. They didn't build that many of them so that makes them even rarer and easier to sell if you don't like it.

Ric

13. Yes Sir. I also, (and mostly) run it with an AE410.

In the time I've owned my SA200 I have also owned a Markbass LMK (sold) and TC RH450 (sold) as well as a Glockenklang Bass Art Classic Pre (sold) and Aguilar DB680 (still own) both used with a Crest CA9 (still own).

I have never felt that the SA200 was any less quick or punchy or any of the other tonal adjectives you can think of than any of my other amps. The SA200 is all of those things and much more.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    you'd be surprised, as much as i was, at how quick the sa200 feels. its not nearly the response of my swr headlite, but again, one of the fastest feeling all tube amps you'll use. yet all the while, it has that gorgeously sweet, thick, fat heft a good all tube amp should have.

most all tube guys like that sludgey slow, molasses like feel. i dont, and the sa200 is exactly the tube amp i've always wanted.

15. As you can probably tell from the previous replies, $1200 is a very good price for an SA-200.

Get it. If you don't like it, you can flip it for more than you spent on it.

16. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Anyone consider letting the friend know what it is actually worth and helping him out also?

I would have no qualms buying gear on the cheap with the intention of using and keeping it, but amongst my friends generally there is a "cheap sale = offer to sell it back to friend first" type agreement.

Quite a few people are quite eager to make a mint off their buddies ignorance it seems.

17. I have no intentions of buying it and flipping it. That's just not in my DNA (or my character,for that matter). If I decide to make the purchase,I'm gonna keep it. The friend that offered it to me certainly knows what he has(as I stated earlier,he owns a studio). We kind of have a "gentleman's agreement",on occasion he borrows my '61 and '75 J-Basses to lay down some tracks with. So,apparently he feels he "owes me" a deal on something.
    What I find amusing is,I didn't even know he owned it. It's been locked away in a room off to the side when not in use. If I'd had known,I'd have already took her out for a spin.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask,but what do these go for on the used market? How many were produced? It doesn't necessarily matter,just curious.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I would completely hit that, with no hesitation at all.

19. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1!!!
    I am also a "quicker" amp fan, but the SA200 is my absolute alltime favourite amp