1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky SA 200 Tube Amp !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hands5, Mar 28, 2006.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    This past Saturday I went to Bass Central to trade in my Sadowsky MS5,but there was nothing there that didn't really intrest me,so Beaver came out and told me that he wanted me to try something,and that something was the new Sadowsky SA 200 Tube Amp which we ran thru the Schroeder 1212/21012,and a early (mint) 90's Goliath II 4x10. Thru the Schroeder cabinets the tone was real real clean and articulate,impressive to say the least,but thru the Goliath II it was clean and BIG and Sweet,especially with my MS5,and also a Darryl Jones 4 string,however with this being said the tone which this amp produces may not be what some other players are looking for ( no harm-no foul there),it's expensive (what isn't these days) but nonetheless it's obvious that Roger and the people he collaborated with on this project did there homework and did some exstinsive R&D on this product.So for those who would want it,well you'll have a great amp,and for those who wouldn't,well find something that you like,or keep what you have.....It's all good
    peace

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not really a tube amp guy, but was impressed with the Sadowsky that I played at Tom's a while back. However, seeing that thing in that huge shock rack, and given it's only about 200 watts (although it did put out plenty of wump... but no more apparant volume than the Thunderfunk and iAmp800 IMO), it seems more like an 'in studio' sort of thing to me versus a gigging head (just IMO). Very, very nice, warm but still clean sound. I'd love to have one in my rehearsal space:D

From what I understand, 'all tube' amps like either sealed cabs, or cabs with a tighter sound (i.e., less speaker excursion and a somewhat higher 3db roll-off point). So, it doesn't surprise me at all that the older SWR cab would line up better with that amp versus the much wider, fuller sounding Schroe's that are more 'ported' sounding IMO.

I really liked the sound of the Sadowsky amp with the Sadowsky 410, which is a ported cab that sounds quite a bit like a 'sealed' cab to me in its voicing... very nice.

3. That's a myth that has been gaining ground here lately. It's supposed to be the flipside of he myth of tube amps having supposedly "too low" damping and not being able to control ported speakers as well. I use my tube amps with ported cabs and they sound fantastic.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I am surely not a tube amp expert (at all!), and I'm sure there are many combinations that sound great. However, I guess I associate the classic tube amp sound with a nice, large sealed multi-driver cab with no tweeter.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

But...but...! Only modern solid state amps with nuclear capactiors can sound good with any modern ported cab, as we all know vintage sealed cabs only go down to 90hZ and will explode if you look at them funny! :rolleyes:

;)

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Less see ... tube amps ... ported cabs ... (scratches head)

Ampeg fliptop ... Hmmm.

Seriously I used a SVT-II all tube head driving a Goliath II SWR 4x10 cab forever.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Boy... you guys are more touchy than the Accugroove supporters:eek: Didn't mean to start a feeding frenzy/firestorm... just trying to put into context why the Sadowsky possibly sounded better through the GII, which is ported but has a much narrower range of tone IMO than the Schroeders.

I am one that has read for years about the damping factor/sealed cab sort of thing in many sources, and who also sees a vast majority of my peers who use tube amps playing through and prefering sealed cabs, I thought there was something to it.

8. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    It is too early in the morning for me to be laughing this hard!

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nothing like taking a good 'tube amp wumpin' from the tube amp set in the morning:D I guess I deserve it since I'm spouting opinions on mostly second hand info... shame on me I guess:)

I just thought that since I'm one of the few who has actually played through the Sadowsky that I'd put my toe in the 'tube infested waters'!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, if you thought that SA200 sounded good with those cabs, if you pair it up with the Sadowsky cabs or the NV line from Bergantino, I think you'd be even more impressed. Not to knock those cabs, but I think that the Sadowsky or NV cabs are a much better match.

Tom.

11. Judging from Tom's clips the Sadowsky isn't going to limit itself to vintage tones. That thing sounds fantastic through the Sad. cabs and is anything but "classic tube amp sound."

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Though you can dial that in, too. The clean/fat setting is phenomental! But you are very right in that its tone is not 'limited' at all.

Tom.

13. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. I was trying to 'nip in the bud' some intentional misinformation that has been spread here. It goes to show that if you repeat a lie often and loudly enough, it becomes truth, and I'll just be louder with the REAL truth.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:) No problem... I'm pretty clueless about tube amps... mea culpa.... but I do like that Sadowsky!

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

The amp is fantastic

Rob

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Rob said. To my ears, on the "clean" setting, this is the best sounding amp, tube or solid state, of any amp I've ever heard.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Also, unless you are playing Madison Square Garden without a PA, its plenty of power! Dont be fooled about the power rating. Judge for yourself

Rob

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    EXACTLY.