1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky SA200 with 2 x Berg HS210s or 2 x AE210 or AE410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rimo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    Hi Everyone,

Would love opinions, and personal experiences with any of the above combinations.

Which speaker combination is going to work best with the Sadowsky SA200.

I'm looking for a full punchy sound overall with enough useble lows and something that can handle a B string without too many dramas.

thanking you all in advance.

Art.

2. I use my SA200 and AE410 regularly and really dig it. I find that they really balance each other out. Full, fat, punchy, etc etc.. It's probably my favourite combination. (Even moreso than the SA200 / NV610 combo).

3. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks mate, appreciate your input.

How would a 2 x AE210 differ from a single AE410 ?

I already have a AE410 which I love but I have read in lot of posts that the SA200 sounds great with 2 x HS210s. The only thing I am concerned with that is if there is enough useble lows.

Hope to hear from others.

4. I have no experience with the AE210's at all...
    Hopefully someone else with chime in....

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Find a used Sadowsky SA410. Perfection with that head.

6. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    I hear ya Bro.

Isn't the AE410 suppose to be fairly similar than different to the SA410 or even the HS410 ?

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

The HS series cabs are essentially the same cabs as the Sadowsky Audio cabs. Both have the heavier speakers, look pretty much the same. The 2x10s dimensions are slightly different, though. The AE cabs have neo speakers and are quite lighter in weight

I prefer not to use neo speakers with tube amps. I dont feel, to my ears, they sound as fat and clear. Ive used two 2x10s with my SA200 and it sounded fantastic. For whatever reason, I sold them and now use an HS410 as a standalone. Its 4ohm. Best sounding rig Ive owned in my life. Ive sold my other amps since. I still have my mint '67 Bassman which stays put at my church gig but I use the SA200 all the time for my other shows. If its a real small room, I also have an Aguilar GS210 that I use for that. Its sounds ok. Id prefer the have one of the Bergs back but I wanted a standalone 2x10 in 4ohm and Bergantino doesnt produce such an animal

I never tried any of the AE cabs so I cant give you a comparison.

Rob

8. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    So how did the lows in the 2 x HS210 stack compare with the HS410.

Do you think there's enough presence in the 210 stack and how does the sound of the 210 stack project out into the room compared to the HS410 ?

9. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    BUMP - and good morning to the other side of the world :)

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As mentioned above, the HS210/HS410 is just a slight modification of the original SA cabs designed to go with that head. The HS cabs have a bit more internal volume and I believe the speakers have a bit higher xmax, which results in a bit more low end than the original SA voicing.

I have not heard the HS's with the SA200, but did hear the SA's and it was a beautiful thing.

I owned the HS210 for a while and currently have the AE410. While I understand that the AE410 is a touch more aggressive in the upper mids than the AE210, my understanding is that the AE410/2 X AE410 are quite similar, as is the HS410/HS210 x 2). If that's the case, the tighter low end and smoother all around tone of the HS line (either 410 or 2 x 210) would match up quite a bit better with a tube amp in general.

It would be two HS210's all the way for me. That gives you the modularity benefit.

IMO, and not based on direct experience with the SA200 into these specific cabs, so take it for what it is!

11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Both setups sounded great. I never felt like I lacked lows. I use Sadowsky basses, also. I initially had 2 smaller cabs because I wanted to be able to gig from a car. I later picked up a different vehicle and its just easier for me to use one cabinet for most gigs. Id be happy with either setup. No worries either way

Rob

12. Bass Club Mark

Bass Club Mark

Dec 21, 2005
    Bass Club Chicago
    Jealous re: the SA200! I regret letting mine go. The neo Berg's will be more articulate and will give you clarity, but the Ferric magnet Bergs will give you fullness and a more familiar sounding cab. Both are quality, just depends on your preference. Great sounding rig either way!

13. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have to add that I find that a single cab for me is an easier schlep, so for big gigs I bring a 4x10 on casters and when I don't need that horsepower I bring a single 2x10.

In theory the modular idea seems great and I guess if you drive a small car loading might be easier but two 2x10 cabs are more of a pain in the neck to move around then a single 4x10.

On the other hand I do like the vertical stack of (2) 2x10 cabs, foget all this comb filtering madness it's just nice to have a speaker close to your ear. That's if you don't mind the added schlep.

At least that's my experience.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I personally prefer the same thing... one large cab on castors, and a second small cab with a small cart for the small gigs. However, my large cabs are around 60 pounds (an my latest is around 40 pounds!). I might feel differently if the large 410 was 90 pounds, so everything is relative!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite rig with the SA200 is two SA410's (which to my ears do sound a tad different in the lows and mids, as compared to the HS410, but I'll admit, they are fairly close). Alternately, I have had great success pairing it up with my NV series cabs.

The AE series do sound very good with the SA200, but I slightly favor the pairing with the HS series (comparing just to the AE series, here). In general, the AE series have more going on in the upper mids, and the HS series have more going on in the lower mids. So it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Grats on a killer head, though, for sure! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Tom.

16. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks everyone for your input.

So will a HS210 stack handle a B string without a problem ?

Tom, or anyone else, can the lower mids that appear to be more prominent in the HS410 be added to the AE410 with the EQ on the SA200 ?

Also does anyone know if the SA200 can handle an odd speaker load of 2.6 ohms ie, a 4 ohm 410 with a 8 ohm 210 ?

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yes, the amp can handle that. The demo at the shop in Brooklyn is on top of a 4ohm 4x10 and 8ohm 2x10. The amp has a switch on the back for 2, 4 or 8 ohm.

The hs210 stack will definately handle any B string. No worries

Rob

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    this is the only way to go. seriously...

the hs410 is the closest cousin, but not quite. still, a worthy successor, thx to its pounding steely lower lows. and while i LOVE the single hs210 w/ the sa200, i tried a pair of hs210's, and just didnt quite cut it. not enough of a unified low end pound.

the ae410 is ok, but felt rather "meh". for some reason, it felt like there was a weird hole w/ the tweeter to the upper mids. and compared to the solid feeling hs410, the ae410's lower mids and lows seemed almost hazy and indistinct.

19. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I use a pair of HS410s with my SA200 and it's wonderful.

Personally, I don't think that the HS210 stack would give you what you want out of a B string. The HS210 is a wonderful cab, but that 12 inch depth results in a slightly more shy low end. In my experience with smaller cabs, I seem to run them too hot to compensate for their stature and end up with problems! :meh:

A standalone 4 ohm 410 is the way to go with the SA200.

Ian