Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky SA410, initial impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Feb 22, 2006.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I received my Sadowsky SA 410 yesterday, and thought I'd post my initial impressions.

I had previously been using a Bergantino NV610, and I absolutely LOVED that cab, but my band situation changed, and it wasn't necessary for me to carry 6 10s anymore, now that I'm not competing with two Marshall half stack weilding gui****s.

After talking to friend, neighbor, and amp guru, Tom Bowlus, a bunch of times, and Jim Bergantino a few times, I came to the conlusion that the SA410 sounded just like what I was looking for. I wanted something with the massive punch and mid presence the NV610 had, but in a smaller package. I also wanted a bit more versatility, so thought a cab with a tweeter was the way to go.

Initially, I was surprised at the small size of the box Mr UPS dropped off. It was indeed a pleasant surprise. This is probably the smallest 410 I've seen. Although it is no lightweight, I didn't have any difficulty getting it unpacked and in my house. I popped the casters on, and they fit securely, and roll freely.

I plugged my Iamp 800 in the cab, and gave it a brief workout with my Lakland Darryl Jones with flats, and my new Musicman Stingray double bucker. In short, this cab seems like EVERYTHING I was looking for. It has an amazing punch and clarity, all the while retaining the patented Bergantino fullness.
    With the flatwound strung bass, and the tweeter rolled off, I almost would have been hardpressed to tell the sound apart from what I had heard out of my NV610. It punches you right in the gut, and I'm guessing it will cut through a band mix just as well as the NV610. Plugging in the stingray, and putting the tweeter on "flat", it had plenty of top end sizzle, all while retaining the gut punching mids and lows. The top end isn't harsh at all, and contains that magic Bergantino crossover mojo.

I'm really eager to take the cab to the Bowlus Bass Borg so I can hear Tom's Sadowsky SA head through this cab. From what I understand, the head and cab were absolutely made for each other. I'm also really eager to hear Tom's SA210.

This new Sadowsky SA410 cab, in a phrase, is probably the most versatile cab I've heard. It goes from pillowy old school, to cutting bright, modern tone, and excels at both. I think Jim Bergantino and Roger Sadowsky have a real winner on their hands here. Of course, this is all preliminary, because the rig won't be gig tested until next weekend, but from what I've seen and heard so far, color me impressed.

2. Nice! I look forward to checking it out, and comparing to the Epi410UL.

It sounds like that cab is a winner.

3. I'm looking forward to your "gig testing" report!

:hyper:

4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Pics? Specs? :hyper:

5. So are you going to be dumping your NV610?

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Tom has my NV610

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I visited Sadowsky Guitars on Monday..
    The shop was not busy so I had " The Room" all to myself for a good two hours.....:hyper:

I played through the Sadowsky rig which consisted of the tube head..a Sadowsky 2 x 10 and the Sadowsky 4 x 10.

I played about 10 different basses including the P/J's that are now on the site...

100% perfection on all fronts.....basses, cabs, head....
    just amazing stuff...

I am now in the process of deciding what to sell so I can buy the head and the 4 x 10...

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :D

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Great review, Pat! You nailed it! :)

One thing that I would add is that I think two of these stacked is going to be pretty darn fantastic. Their compact size would allow you to do this and still present a reasonable sized stack.

Rest assured, there will be more to come from me regarding this rig in the near future! :D

Again, very nice job on the review!

Tom.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    And tomorrow evening, we WILL hear them stacked!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just found your thread, cause i too am loving the sadowsky cabs. tried them yesterday, and the sadowsky sound is finally here! :hyper:

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's posted elsewhere, probably on the Bowlus GtG thread, but these cabs were viewed pretty favorably at the GtG. Two 410's stacked has a BEHEMOTH sound, and to my ears, there is something really special about a 4x10/ 2x10 stack of these cabs.
    Tom could probably describe it better, but I thought the 2x10 on top really added some airy highs and openness, without losing any of the punch of the 410. I have a few big outdoor gigs this summer, and I just about guarantee prior to all of them, Tom's phone is gonna ring, I'm going to be on the other end, and Tom is going to hear "Hey Tom, would you mind if I borrowed you Sadowsky 2x10 this weekend?" :)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I don't doubt it, bud, so be prepared for me to ask to borrow your SA410 for some bigger shows, too! :D

I will be gigging with my SA200/SA410/SA210 this weekend. Oh, and of course, I will be playing my 25th Anniversary 24F 5, for the "All Sadowsky Rig!" :cool: :bassist: :hyper:

14. I now officially hate you, Tom;)

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Where ya playing this weekend Tom? PM me.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously...