1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky SA410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sadowsky SA410

Where can I get one of these? And where can I find the details about it?

I can't seem to find any info on the Sadowsky site. I can find info on the new tube amp, but no speakers.

Also, for you lucky people that have one already, have any of you tried it with a DB750?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

They have them in stock at Bass Northwest, and they are listed on the site with pictures.

I had the pleasure of playing out of them at Tom Bowlus house. I was pretty unimpressed with the 210 (thin low end... the BergHT210S is the same size and about the same price and sounds MUCH better IMO), but the 410 was very nice... very tight and punchy... voiced very much toward a 'rock' voicing IMO. I would think this cab would work GREAT with the 750 due to its tight low end versus the more extended low end of many other 410's. Not my particular tone preference, but I sould see it working very well for a more rock oriented player with a more 'tube' sounding head like the DB750. It sounded great with the SA2000.... kind of a combination of 'old school sealed cab sound' with a little more treble extension due to the tweeter and crossover.

I also appreciated its thin profile (I think only 16" deep). While it is standard weight for a non neo 410, the thin profile made it pretty easy to lift, etc. Nice quality, and reasonably priced IMO considering its quality.

3. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
  4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I agree with Ken's assesment. I own an SA410. I think Tom Bowlus and I got the first two "off the press".

They are definitely a bit rock voiced. They are very punchy, not unlike a Bergantino NV 610. With the tweeter and ported cab , they extend a bit higher and a bit lower than the NV series Bergs. If you are looking for a smash you in the chest, fairly easy to haul, 4x10, look no further than the Sadowsky SA410. I'm currently using mine with an Aguilar AG500, and I agree, it is a pretty good match with "tubey" sounding heads. It really makes me wish I would have held onto my Mesa 400+. I think they would absolutely kill together.

Any Sadowsky or Bergantino dealer can get you one.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh good lord,

just stop with that talk. just stop. you're giving my wallet an ulcer.

6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I haven't tried one with a DB750 yet, but you can bet, next time I go to Tom's house, I'm going to! I think the combination would kill.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just spent some time with the Sadowsky cabs and my 750 earlier this week! With one SA410, it is pretty much exactly what you would expect - thick, full, punchy, chewy rocking goodness! Because the cones were designed to work with a tube output stage (SA200), they are almost "too tight" when used with a quality SS amp. As a result, the low end when used with a SS amp can take a little boost, but this is a minor thing and easily accomplished. The DB 750 has a different tone and, perhaps more significant, a different "presentation" than the SA200, but this is certainly a very good combination. Inteterestingly, when you add the SA210 to the SA410 with the 750, you notice not only an increase in the high end clarity and expansiveness, but also significantly more low end. With the SA200, the benefits of adding the SA210 are more focused in the upper mids and high end (and man, it makes a wonderful difference, here, with the SA200!), so I was somewhat surprised to see how much it affected the lows with the 750. My guess is that going from the 4 ohm load to a 2.67 ohm load was a major factor, since this will push the SS output section of the 750 to crank out more power, and with the tube output section of the SA200, the output remains roughly the same. More factors may also be in play, but I haven't really investigated this.

Tom.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    just wondering, has anyone had a chance to try the sa410 with a thunderfunk?

9. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Now you're getting to what I need to know to plan my bass related spending for the next year. I have a DB750, will be buying an SA200 soon for smaller gigs, and am thinking about changing or supplementing my cabinets.

I currently use a Whappo, Jr., and what worries me about going to all 10s is that while you certainly gain punch, I'm concerned that I would lose that nice round bottom from the bigger speakers. I like a cross between old traditional Motown, 60s/70s bass sounds with more modern detail that Accugrooves and Bergantinos give with their (non-hyped) tweeters. I guess the only criticism I have of the Jr. is that it might be said to be a little polite at times?

I would hate to put the money into say the 410, and lose that big rounder sound that a lot of 10s just can't give me. I know that Roger offers the acceptance period, but even doing a gig or two won't give me the long-term experience I need for a complete decision. Any help, advice, or suggestions you give would be greatly appreciated.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I like the Whappo, Jr. very much, but if you want more upper midrange to high end clarity, the SA410 will certainly deliver that in spades. And it is definitely more punchy than the Jr. But, the Jr. is definitely going to have more low end than the SA410 when used with the DB 750 (and quite possibly with the SA200). But, the nice thing I have found with the SA410 is that it has a very tight/quick low end, and if you boost the lows, it stays really tight.

So far, all of my gigging experience with the SA410 has been in conjunction with the SA200. Maybe Pat can talk about the low end when gigged with a SS head?

Another cab you might want to consider is the NV215. Incredible deep/full/tight low end, balanced (not scooped, not hyped) mids, and surprising high end clarity. And two of the best amps to drive an NV215 with, IMHO, are the SA200 and DB 750! :D It would be bigger and deeper sounding than the SA410, but not as punchy, and not as high on the high end (obviously).

Tom.

11. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks very much for your input.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

good stuff, Tom,

like i was standing right next to you. :cool:

13. Tom,
    Are both your SA410 and SA210 4 ohms?

14. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I'm guessing the 210 is 8 ohm, because of his description that he "went from 4 ohm to 2.67."

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You mean that wasn't you??? :p

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Bingo!

17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    kjones..I think the NV215 sounds like just the cab you need. Of course, unfortunately, you'll have to find one used.
    I'm doing pretty much the same kind of music as you (60's oriented stuff), but I normally don't use a huge low end sound.
    I go more for a 70's rock punch. I'm not saying the Sadowsky SA410 doesn't have a great low end, because it definitely does, and as Tom said, it's a nicely tight bottom, but it doesn't replicate a 15, and I'm sure a Whappo has a bigger bottom end. I wouldn't hesitate suggesting the SA410, but to me, the NV215 sounds PERFECT for what you are looking for. I've heard Tom's NV215 a few times, and played through it, and it is by far, the most amazing 215 cab I've ever laid "ears" on. It has that 15 low end, but at the same time, is punchy, and clear on the top end. That 6" mid driver is a thing of beauty.

18. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    cheese, thanks so much for your suggestion. I will now be scouring local places seeing if I can dig a 215 up to try to hear it.

Don't forget to give us an update after your gig about your beautiful new bass!