1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SADOWSKY SATIN SERIES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by draygriff, Sep 29, 2016.

1. A real NYC Sadowsky for under 3K! I've been saving my pennies, sheckles, dracmas and plasma money for a Metro. Looks like this NYC Satin series is perfect. From what I've read it seems they took the idea of limited options in the Metro line and brought it stateside. Anyone have any additional info?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  2. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    When I recently came across those online, I had to do a double take at that price! I just read that 5 page thread about them here. Still outside my comfort zone price wise, but tantalizingly close.

SJan3 likes this.
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
  4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah I've been eye-ballin' them hard.. Loving this:

7267_s_lg-1800x600.

5. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    ^^^
    Yep, that's the one that grabbed me.

6. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky

Here's one in action... we have a few more satin videos that we'll be posting in the next few weeks.

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Bump.

Anybody know much about these things? I ran into one today at a local Big Box store. Only ever played one Sadowski before, but this Satin one sang to me. It was a 5'r, and I'm not interested in 5's, but the thing was super light, looked sharp, and had a great sound. Doin some research now..

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Liking the looks and tones of this bass !!

9. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Ask us anything!

puff father and NKBassman like this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    In relation to CITES, why did you choose rosewood rather than a wood that can be safely exported.

11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Most of the new Satins are morado. We are moving in that direction with the newest ones for obvious reasons.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Bassist Jay likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Your website says "Chambered Alder body with East Indian Rosewood fingerboards".

If they are actually Morado, then I'm more than happy. Thanks for the info.

13. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    We need to update that!

14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I have a 5-string Satin Deluxe. Pretty spectacular instrument, small (or significant depending on your viewpoint) step up from the regular Satins. Plays like butter, sounds like a Sadowsky. Made in NYC, as are all the Satins.

puff father likes this.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Many thanks.

Happy New Year to everyone.

16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sadowskys RULE! Lovin' this Satin! :D

Dragonfly 1-1-18 smaller.

17. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Is there that much of a cost difference for applying a satin finish as opposed to the standard gloss?

18. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Apparently $1500.

Can paint a vehicle for that much.

I question that as well.

SJan3 and Stilltryin like this.
  19. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    My guess is that the cost difference is less about the satin finish and more about the limiting of options and colors. By doing only solid color finishes, they can make use of every body blank regardless of grain, number of pieces, etc... and by not offering any customization, you can streamline the program to be less wasteful and easier to deliver. The amount of time spent selecting woods or going back and forth with clients on options and finishes is reduced, while some of the downstream finishing work is reduced also. Satin finishes, in an of themselves, can often be tougher to do than gloss. Gloss allows you to layer up the clear and polish to a shine, while matte finishes have to be sprayed perfectly with the matte additive in the clear, but no polishing. It saves some time in terms of sanding, cutting, polishing (and repeat) but you have to really have your process down to be perfect with the clear. Otherwise you have to sand a re-shoot, as you basically can't touch it after.

I think the "satin" choice is more to make sure this product line is somehow differentiated from their other custom and higher priced lines. I am sure deepestend can answer more officially, but it should NOT be assumed that it's the paint type that is the main determinant in the pricing structure.