Sadowsky setup question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drgregn, Feb 12, 2003.

1. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I have a 24 fret modern Sadowsky - great bass, but I can't get the bridge saddles down far enough to get the kind of low action that I prefer. Neck bow is OK - I usually like a very small amount of relief and have that set fine. Is this common to Sadowskys? I haven't had the pleasure of playing very many.

I assume the answer would involve shimming the neck? I emailed Roger and he said he had no other tech to recommend in my area (Dallas), so I could send it to him for $75 and he would set it up. I guess I'll do that, but I'm reluctant to spend over $100 (after shipping) to fix what seems to be a relatively small problem.

Any thoughts from experienced Sad owners out there?

thanks, Greg
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

From your description, there's a neck angle problem

You might consider sending the bass off a last resort.

It really isn't complicated to adjust. If you fail to correct the problem, then send the bass off.

You are likely to run into some problems if you have the bass set up too far from where you live. Atmospheric/temp. differences can significantly change a setup.

3. From the discussions on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that one of the main factors that seperate Sadowsky's from other high end Jazz style basses is the setup as it comes from their shop. Nino Brown will, of course, know more about this so he should chime in here pretty quick. Given this, I would contact Roger himself and discuss the situation. It could be that Sadowsky will do this to your specs for not too many beans. Certainly not free but the level of attention to detail should be considerable and well worth the expense. I can't think of a better situation than to have the builder of the instrument do the setup.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Do you have any tech's that you trust in you're area? It sould be a few things.

-If their is too much releif in the neck, it'll make the action of the strings too high & you might not be able to lower the strings to your liking. Also, if you were able to lower the strings you might get some buzzing in the middle of the neck, 7th to 15th frets. & if you shim the neck with a neck with too much releif, you'll be able to lower the strings but their will deifintly be buzzing.

-If the neck has acceptable releif you still can't lower the action, you might need to shim the neck.

It's hard to tell with out the bass in my hands. :)

Good luck. Also, if you can't fix the problem, I'll be glad to take the bass off you're hands. I'll even pay the shipping. ;):D
  5. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Hey, Nino & Hambone -

thanks for the talkback. I'll probably ship it to ya, Nino, and let you guys do your magic...

That would give me an excuse to pick up one of your outboard preamps, too... would love to see how that would juice up some of my other basses!

thanks, Greg