sadowsky soapbars or emgs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andysvec, Jul 31, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I have a modulus q5 with a sadowsky installed pre w/vtc and bartolini pickups. This is an older model and it's the bart soaps that the bridge one is slightly smaller and the front has some sort of series/parallel switch. Anyway, they are a little too warm sounding for me and I want to change them as I've never really cared for them (and thought that changing the pre might make a bigger difference at the time). I recently got a Q6 with emg soaps/pre and love the punchy and bright sound it gets and would like to get a similar sound from my q5.

So here's my question. I either want to replace my barts with sadowsky soaps or emg-40p/dc similar to my q6. I want to leave the sadowsky onboard also. I know I like the emg soaps/pre in my q6, but I was thinking that since I already have the sadowsky pre that the sadowsky soaps might be better matched? Anyone care to compare how either might sound in my Q5 or have any advice? I've never played a sadowsky with soaps so I'm not sure how the pickup/pre combination would sound. thanks
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the Sadowsky soaps are passive so if you want that active EMG sound you're not going to get it with them.
    IMO the Sadowsky preamp is transparent when flat and should work fine with any brand of pickups.