Sadowsky Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ddnidd1, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Does anyone know who actually manufactures the Sadowsky 5 string soapbars?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I recently had Sadowsky replace my EMG's with his new soapbars..
    they are Basslines and have a much warmer tone than the EMG's.
  3. Thanks. Any idea if they are a stock model?
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Sadowsky Soapbars are manufactured by Basslines to Rogers specs. They are not available thru BassLines. You can but them direct from Sadowsky Guitars.
  5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Out of curiosity, are they oriented as side-by-side humbuckers (2 magnets per case, each magnet covers all strings), stacked humbuckers, or "in-line" humbuckers (2 mags per case, maybe slanted, and each mag covers half the a P-pup)?
  6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    It is a good question.
    I'd like to know this, too!....nobody?

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think that Basslines are supposed to be releasing a passive soapbar that is supposed to be very similar, if not the same as the Sadowsky model for sale soon. Very good idea, IMO.
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they're available now, they're the sadowsky size (which is also the emg size)
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Terminology correction:
    "side-by-side" is called dual-coil if both magnets are used for tone reproduction, or it's called humbucker if the other one is only for cancelling out hum
    "in-line" is called split coil. Either it has the P-topology or is angled inside
    Yet I still not understand what you mean by stacked humbuckers. It's a guitar thing to have a single-coil size double-coil, with the two coils on top of each other. Or you meant double-coil?
  10. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Actually... IME, this is one of those things that, if you ask 10 different people (i.e. pickup makers), you'll get 5 different answers.

E.g. "in-line" might refer to an offset arrangement (think P-pickup), or to a slanted arrangement, or it may refer to a "linear" humbucker like the DiMarzio Model J or Nordstrand hum-cancelling J pickups.

"Stacked" is exactly as the name implies: two full-length coils, each extending the full width of the strings, but placed on top of one another... as you mentioned for guitars. There are some bass pickups with this orientation, e.g. some Basslines models IIRC.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    To me it sounded like you didn't really know the terminology, so I just wanted to clarify it for you.
    There are some phrases that have a clear meaning, on which even those 10 p-up makers would agree ;)

The P is split coil (except for the original single coil from 51 to 54, and sometimes retrofitted on custom vintage basses); or in a humbucker, it's split coil, P-bass topology. It's by no means in-line, though
    There rarely are in-line split sc, though, but I only saw them on guitar SC p-ups so far.
  12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I spoke with Seymour Duncan at NAMM, and they told me the new passive soapbars are pretty much identical to the Sadowsky soapbars. I found them listed for a very nice price at Warmoth. I'm going to check with Best Bass Gear to see if he can order them as well.