Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky sound on my usa jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 10, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i have a stock usa fender jazz bass with an outboard aguilar pre amp ( i think its very smilair sounding to the sadowsky) what passive pickups would you suggest to get that sadowsky sound?
    thanks

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    How about sadowsky pickups?

3. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    but sadowsky i heard dont make their own pickups, i think its like the origanally aguilar made their pre amp

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can get pickups from Sadowsky, their pickups are made especially for them. I don´t remember who makes them though...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup. Dimarzio make the humcancellers and iirc Seymour Duncan make their single coils.
    Both of these are done to Sadowsky specifications, so it's not like the hum cancellers are Ultra Jazz rebadged. IMO, they sound much better than the Ultra Jazz.

6. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    ok thanks thats the info i was looking for, also i guess if you buy it from sadowsky its going to be very expensive, so does seymour duncan sell a similiar style pick up under a different name? thanks

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  8. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yes! sorry, they are very good value!
    i take it back, sadowsky are still the best after all :p

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I called DiMarzio inquiring about the difference in the Sadowsky and Ultra p/u's and was told they are exactly the same. This has been stated many times on this board and many others and have yet to hear anybody from Sadowsky say otherwise. Having had both I could tell no difference.

10. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    no difference? That's good to know! I have the Ultras on my Mike Lull Passive 4 and I was about to buy some Sad pups to improve the sound. Maybe I just need a Sad outboard pre....? :bassist:

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    In my opinion, the "Sadowsky" sound is the sum of many elements on the Sadowsky basses:

1) The pickups
    2) The preamp
    3) Acoustically excellent body

As a Sadowsky MS5 owner, I can say that the bass does not sound the same when the preamp is bypassed. When the preamp is bypassed, the sound is more old-school fenderish tone. You could call it traditional. With the VTC and eq-bypassed, the tone is excellent for a basic fender tone.

But when the preamp is used, even with the eq-settings flat, the tone is much different. It is instantly more hifi, with a little more of treble and personality. That is the Sadowsky tone. Once you go there, there is no coming back.

So, you can get a decent Sadowsky-like tone(it is not the Sadowsky tone, because it's not a Sadowsky bass) by putting Sadowsky pickups(or Dimarzio ultrajazz, which either you preffer) and an Sadowsky preamp.

I added Sadowsky pickups to my Fender Jaco Pastorius signature. The sound got better. More articulate, and no hum what-so-ever, but the tone was far from the Sadowsky tone.

I don't know whats the trick in the preamp and pickups, but the tone is perfect for performing with a band. It really cuts through the mix and is excellent in all events. I use an EBS HD350 amp with my MS5, and I have eq-settings flat on the amp. I only use the eq-setting on the bass, depending on the situation. I have only got compliments from my tone. Excellent bass, in my opinion.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've said many times that I could easily tell a difference between the two. The Sadowsky are much less scooped sounding than the UJ. I found it much easier to get heard in the mix with the Sadowsky.
    If you look in the pickups faq, you'll see link to my thread with a bunch of jazz pickup clips in the same bass. Including DM UJ and Sad HC.
    Mr Sadowsky makes no secret of the fact that his pickups are made by other manufacturers to his specifications

Note: I'm not a Sadowsky owner

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I'd imagine with a Warmoth bass, and Sadowsky electronics you could get very, very close to the Sadowsky tone if not dead-on. I'd have to think about doing that.

14. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I agree. Although reasonable people may disagree, IMO if you choose the the same woods for body, neck and f'board, there should be no difference sonically regardless of who carved it out and how they did it (ie: by hand, cnc, etc). Now aesthetics-- quality of fit and finish--that's a differenct story...