1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky sound shaping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumb, May 4, 2010.

1. thumb

thumb

Nov 16, 2004
    laval
    Hi everyone,
    For the past year, my mane bass has been a sadowsky metro UV5 Maple board. I have always been satisfied with it but now that i've started playing in a more progresive band, with a lot Rush style songs, i find my sound to be a litle to soft.

I wish y could keep my UV (of course) but at the same time, give it a litle more, bite and mid's. Not to much but a litle more agresive, with pikups or preamp replacement. The question is, witch one,,,

Any advise :confused:

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Try playing passive for a while.

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    you could also try a mild overdrive.

4. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    How do you usually set the blend between the pickups?

I usually play with a 50/50 mix, but I have also found that favoring the bridge pickup just a little (very little!) bit does the trick in terms of adding bite and mid attack. I am talking 49/51 here - just a hint. So, if you also play 50/50, it might be worth a try before you begin to install new pups and preamp...

5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Strings?

6. Main point is that the bass is probably not the issue here.

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    this is a very good advice.

If you still need more mids ang growl try Sadowsky single coils. You can order them from their website.

8. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Oh, yes. I forgot to mention that my Sadowsky is a Tokyo model (not Metro), whit 'real' single-coil pickups. That also makes a significant tonal difference compared to the hum-cancelling ones in the Metros.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Looking at your profile, seeing that you use a GK head through Hartke cabs, and having personally owned an ash/maple UV5 Sadowsky, I can't IMAGINE that you couldn't get an agressive, mid-punchy tone out of that setup. Sounds like the definition of bright and punchy to me. YMMV of course. I'd definitely start by keeping the EQ flat on your bass and boosting volume and mids on your amp. Then slowly add in bass on the Sadowsky if you need more thickness.

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Also when shaping the sound try to listen for what you need less of rather than what you need more of. Many will turn up the mids if they think they need more rather than reduce the highs or lows.

11. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    +1

Also, the Sadowsky preamp sounds great, but boosting the low band (40 hz) can easily create some mud. I rarely boost it above 20-30%, and often, I just leave it flat or give it a 2-5% boost to add warmth.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    When recording I like to run my NYC sadoswky in Passive... It gets exactly what i want to tape without hoopla.. and the engineer loves it that way..

13. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Do you have the VTC on your bass?

My Sadowsky Metro (R5-24) came with no VTC, but I had it installed as a retrofit, and the materials are only $75 from Sadowsky - a real steal. I also opted for V/V/VTC/T&B rather than the customary V/Pan arrangement. I find V/V provides way more control over tone, including settings that yield more punch in the middle.

In fact, as I look over the basses I've used, bought or sold over the years, I'm seeing that basses without individual volume control for each pickup generally don't last around here.

14. thumb

thumb

Nov 16, 2004
    laval
    Thanks everyone,

Yes i have VTC, and i usualy use Ken Smith or rotosound.
    The Single coils seams to be a good idea, cause the problem is realy not my rig (gallien-krueger 1000W and old Hartkey cabs).

And it's not my hands ( 20 years+ of practice rewarded me with a great hand sound controll ) if You know what i mean!

The solution of Joebone with the V-V, really is something i would not have taught of on my own.
    I to, believe that (Vol-Vol) is the best setting. I will switch to Single Coils and Vol - Vol.

The Sadowsky Metro is a good Bass and i love it, i just whant mine to be a little less ''polite''

ThanK you

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    An ash/maple Sadowsky "polite"?

I suppose it depends on what you're going for, but I've never thought of a Sadowsky as being especially soft.

I always ran mine with no bass or treble boost, and the amp flat. If you're using the contour control on the GK, don't. Try adding some mids. I frankly don't think the SC or going to V/V will solve your problem (those are going to be very subtle differences) but ymmv.

16. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  17. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    :eyebrow:??

18. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    What's the settings on your amp?

19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Um....

Have you tried boosting the mids through the EQ on your amp? I mean, that's kinda what the EQ on it is for, after all.

20. tube amp