Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Stacked Pot ???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom Neves, Jul 23, 2005.

1. :help:
    A question for all you Sadowsky owners.
    The stack pot on my PJ4 has a little problem.
    Whenever I try to adjust the bass knob, I inadvertantely move the treble knob. It appears to rotate much easier, (looser) that the bass knob.
    Anyone have this problem?
    Its a little annoying since I then have to re-adjust everything.
    The bass came to me like this.
    I have yet to call Roger. I just wondered if any of you have had this happen before?
    Let me know if there is a quick fix for this.
    Thanks

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Actually, Tom, I haven't thought about this a lot, but it seems to me that both have enough "tension" that it's easy to adjust one at a time without affecting the other. Maybe there's an easy way to adjust the tension. If Roger tells you about a way of doing this, be sure to let us all know.

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I believe Sadowsky knobs have the little Allen wrench adjustments, correct? Is it possible a matter of the treble knob sitting too "snuggly" against the bass knob? You may be able to raise it just a hair by loosening the treb knob and pulling it up just a touch.

Other than that the tension suggestion sounds like a good idea. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand the question. . . :bag:

4. No, the knob spins freely. That's the problem it spins too freely!

Thanks for the help.
    I will call Roger on Monday and keep you all informed.
    Do any of you have this happening?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Unfortunately, pots with a center detent have a little spring type thing on the shaft that catches a small hole in the casing of the potentiometer, and they are not adjustable. The only real way to get around a worn out spring is to get a new pot.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    just as an fyi, sadowsky don't use center detent pots - the preamp is boost only

7. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Tom,

Yeah, I've experienced that problem too. I have a Standard 5 quilt top and I practically never boost any active treble. (in fact, I sometimes roll off a little of the passive treble) I do usually give the active bass a little bump and this will sometimes inadvertantly turn the treble knob too. I've gotten into the habit of simultaneously checking the treble knob and making sure it's turned back all the way. Not exactly a scientific solution. :meh:

8. :meh:
    Bobby King,
    Well, I guess this may be the nature of the pot.
    It's a little annoying, but it really is not a big deal.
    I plan to call Sadowsky on Monday and see if there is something I can do to fix it.
    Regardless, it still is the best Bass I have ever played.
    Anyone else got this happening?

9. Just loose a little bit the treble knob with the allen wrench, that happened to me and fix it that way,

10. Yea,
    Just got off the phone with Trevor at Sadowsky.
    What a great instrument along with great service.
    Basically, it's the nature of the pot to do that.
    Not much to do except re-adjust the treble pot after doing the bass adjustment.
    He did say he will mention the complaint to Roger and may possibly be able to send something out to me that would replace the problem.Trevor said they have thousands of stacked pots in inventory and it may take a while to use them up.
    Not sure if they will ever send anything to me.
    But still a nice jesture on their part.
    It's not a big deal to me, definately something I can cope with!

Cool :D