1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Standard/Vintage VS Dingwall Super J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Golliwog, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Golliwog

Golliwog

Nov 20, 2006
    Hey everyone,
    This is my first post but I've been browsing this website daily for the better part of 2 months. I've been playing bass for quite a while and I'm going to invest in a boutique jazz 5er very soon. After going through all the details/reviews of everything for ages I've slimmed the decision down to Sad vs. Dingwall (i know the Super J wont have a 5er for a month or 2, i can wait) Id just like to hear your thoughts on the tone, differences and flexibility of these two basses. In a perfect world, I'd like an agressive slap tone, some vintage fender(ish - doesnt have to be really close, just that kind of jazz vibe) sounds, a strong B and more than anything it needs to CUT THROUGH THE MIX. I want to be heard. Ive heard that Sads are perfect for sitting in the mix, but not so obvious. True? I play anything from Chilli Peppers (i like the tone, ray isnt flexible enough to ambient doom metal that requires heavy sustain and crystal clarity. Pretty much, I want great jazz tone with alot of flexibility.

Just a quick thankyou to everyone who posts on this forum for teaching me more than I ever thought I'd know about the Lo-End.

Regards, Alex
    PS. Im gassing for a Super J 5er in Olympic white w/ matching headstock and baltic amber guard (In terms of looks). Drool.

2. Golliwog

Golliwog

Nov 20, 2006
    anyone?
    bump of please

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, the SuperJ 5's are not out yet. I've played a SuperJ and everything seems top notch to me although I couldn't really make any comparisons. Both are great basses, I am sure.

I love my Afterburners and the B cannot be beat. I have often heard them described as a Jazz on steroids. They do sound great.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Those two basses are apples and oranges. Either one is going to be great. Which one you get is really going to come down to whether you want fanned frets or not. Either one is sonically pleasing or can "sit well in the mix".

5. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi,

welcome to actually posting, it took me a while of surfing before I began.

I have played both basses but have only owned a Sadowsky so I really can't give you a very good comparison. But like someone said they are very different. Both I think will give you grit and great jazz tone. I would do your best to A/B the two because the tone differences are hard to pinpoint. I can tell you the Sad really shines in the band setting.

I would also say the fanned fret is the biggest decider. Have you actually played a Dingwall? If you have then I would think it either grabbed you or it didn't but I would not get the Dingwall without playing the fanned setup first. The sad is a very safe way to go.

Hope that helped but no really info to compare them, sorry.

6. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Sadowsky's all the way. Can't beat them.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    For those of you who haven't tried fanned frets, it's really not as hard as it seems. On all the Dingwall basses other than the SuperJ's, the scale length is from 34" to 37" (5-string). It literally took me 5-10 minutes to get used to. The SuperJ 4-string is 32" to 34.25" and the 5-string will be to 35", so it is even less drastic. Don't be fooled by fanned frets because playability is usually a non-issue. You gain an even feel and tone across the strings that cannot be matched.

That is not to knock the Sadowsky's, because they are beautiful instruments in their own right. The best bet is to try and play them both.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    ...unless you prefer fanned frets.

:rolleyes:

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    +1000 to this. Sadowskys are great j basses, but still they are a great take on the ancient recipe. Dingwalls have more innovations. I loved the primas and Zs I've tried, best basses I've ever played so I'd go with the Dingwall. With this scales it will play like butter and once you get used to the even string tension you won't want to go back.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    By the way, olympic white with a matching headstock and tort pickguard would be my choice. It looks good with the baltic amber guard as well.

11. +1 for the Sadowsky!

Check my site for how good my new Sad Metro 5 sounds: www.peterpauljones.com Be sure to look on the blog page.

Turn down the track a tad before you play it...

:bassist: :hyper: