Sadowsky Strings, Anyone???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 1, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    am i the only one who's totally enamoured by these strings?

i was a long time La Bella Slappers guy, but then got turned onto Roger's Nickels. sooo smooth sounding, and yet nice upper end snap for the ol' slap. funny, but on the site, says roger co-developed these with Labella strings.
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    no you're not the only one...I bought 5 sets (nickel) and they are just great. I have spent a medium fortune on strings in the last few years...for nickle RW, I had thought I was happy with DR lorider...but after using the Sadowsky for a few weeks, the DR don't have a chance! I even tried the DR SS over various years since I thought maybe their better mids (over the DR nickel) would be nice. Uh uh...the Sadowsky's are the schnizzle. I don't like the feel of SS, nor the clank. I do like flats for some applications and will eventually try Roger's flats (comparing them with nearly every flatwound known to man), but for now his nickel RW (made by ER Coco) are it for me. Great balanced output, nice clear tone with low mid depth, feels great.
  3. Wouldn't suprise me. Everything else he does is first rate.
  4. Don't use anything else but his nickels since I tried the first the flats 2 got em on 2 of my babys!!!!

5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    How's the tension on the Sadowsky's. I wish he made a 45-100 set with a 130 B?

6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I love 'em. I had them put on a set of the bright nickels when I sent my bass in for some mods, and fully expected them to suck. They do not. Even after a few weeks they still have a complex set of overtones that really complement the bass. I will definitely buy more. I just wish Sadowsky would move into the '90s and sell stuff directly on line. Calling/faxing from Korea is a pain in the @$$.
  7. I have played with Sadowsky Stainless Steel on my Sadowsky P-bass since I've had it, I LOVE them!! They are very detailed, and you can get really aggressive with them...

I got a set of Sadowsky nickels, but have not tried them yet...think I will put them on today and see how I like them after a couple of gigs...

BTW, was walking home earlier, and it's raining really hard, w/o an umbrella :scowl: with my sadowsky in the gig bag... got home, not a drop of water on it!!! :hyper: Good gig bags, too!!

8. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Can anybody tell us how the Sadowsky Flats compare to D'Addario Chromes .... tone, tension, feel, ect.?

Think I'm gonna try a set of these baby's :hyper:
  9. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I just put on a set of the Sadowsky 5-string flats about an hour ago. They're replacing TI Jazz flats, which I've been using for the last 2 years or so. I've only got a little practice time in, and of course no gigs. I think the tension is a little higher, but fine. They feel really good, and the first 2 strings are definitely clearer, brighter (in a positive sense) and more alive. On my bass, a Pulcinella boobinga 5, the Sadowsky B string is way outstanding. It tunes perfectly and has a wonderful tone, which I much prefer to the TI B. Looking forward to breaking in these new flats and to see how they sound in a band context. I'm guessing I won't be taking them off anytime soon!
  10. With the amount of satisfaction on this thread I think it's time to buy some. It seems ol Roger just can't get it wrong. I wish other companies took the same pride in their gear and service.

Not that all don't of course.
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the Sadowsky strings have higher tension than most, although I can't say for sure since I don't have the data in front of me to compare, but they did seem higher on the two basses that I've had them on when compared to other string brands.

Also, I heard from a dealer that the Sadowsky strings are made by Labella, can anyone confirm that?
  12. The Chromes are nice too but have more midrange. I prefer the Sadowsky flats, have them on my Sad PJ and have bright nickels on my Sad VJ. I had the Chromes on my Lakland Joe USA, and they sounded good, but I preferred the Lakland Joe flats on that bass. The TI Power Bass strings are excellent on my Joe. I should try the bright Nickels and Flats on the Joe... gets expensive though and the Lakland is much more of a hassel changing strings, the Sads just are so easy to change without un-coiling.
  13. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I think Sadowsky strings are made by La Bella maybe thats why you like them. ;)
  14. Hey... Stop following me around would ya! :p

No seriously, my beech Wal came arrived from Oklahoma with a new set of Roger's nickel rounds on and I absolutely love them. I've been using various DR and TI strings up to this point, but no longer. Unfortunately it's proving tough to find a bulk source in Canada now that CB doesn't carry them any longer.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The only thing going on my Sadowsky's is Sadowsky Nickle Strings, man are they warm and do they last!.I think i will try the flats on my vintage 4 with the rosewood fingerboard some time. :hyper: :bassist:
  16. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Just ordered five more sets. Had a minor helmet fire trying to figure out what gauge I had 'em put on there when I sent my bass back, but fortunately I saved my emails. SBN40B--Bright nickels, 5-string, light gauge (in case I forget again!). With my dry hands, that's at least a two year supply. That'll do for now. :cool:
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I really like the stainless strings that shipped with my P5. They're very bright, which is a good thing... the B string is simply amazing. They also sound great slapped, and my bass has a P pup only. But I will try the nickels next because I'd like to try a warmer tone.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe... next thing you know it, i'll be picking up a Wal, too. ;)

hmm... maybe, but truth be told, the slappers didnt have the Sad's brighter fuller edge. they're still a great string, but for a Sadowsky, the strings sound spot on perfect. and geez louise, they last forever! last i changed them was maybe a month and a half ago.
  19. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    errrh.. i was thinkin to but Rotosound Flats on my bass, but now i feel like i should try some sadowsky roundwounds...
  20. As CB is not carrying Sadowsky strings any longer, I emailed Sadowsky directly with an inquiry. I received an immediate response including a string price list and fax order form. I ordered a mix of different 5-string sets (nickel/ss and light/regular) yesterday to determine a favourite and THEY ARE HERE ALREADY! Note that I am in Canada. Great customer service, reasonable prices and currently my favourite strings by a decent margin. Thanks much!!!