Sadowsky strings, especially the tapered b-string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Niskamies, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I just purchased a Sadowsky 5-string, and I thought that I would order a couple sets of Sadowsky strings because I've heard lots of good comments on them. The only thing that worries me is the stiffness on the b-string. Somebody here told that the tapered b-strings are really floppy. And I would be going for the stainless steel, gauges 45-65-85-105-130T.
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I use 'em.
    I like 'em.
    Actually, I like 'em a lot.

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The Sadowsky B is not floppy at all. That's due more to the bass itself than the string, btw. A tapered string shouldn't make it floppy, assuming the bridge saddle is adjusted properly. Your Sadowsky has been intonated for the tapered string. If you switch to a non-tapered string, chances are you'll have to re-set the intonation on the B.

My Metro came with the Sadowsky strings, and my only "gripe" about them is that they're not as smooth to the touch as I'd like. Great tone though. I replaced them with a set of Ken Smiths, which I love and have used on all manner of basses over the years, but I'm going to go back to the Sadowsky strings. They just seem to "fit" the bass's character better.
  4. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Can't choose between the stainless steels and the nickels. I would be ordering 5 sets of 4-string sets and 5-sets of 5-string sets for a Sadowsky MS5 and a Fender Jaco Pastorius. What would you get?
  5. I would get the nickles for your Fender and Stainless Steels for the Sadowsky 5.

The Sadowsky tapered B is one of the best I have played ever, and is not floppy at all, even on a 34" scale bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their great , i just got a new set of nickle 5's on my Sadowsky.
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    My Sadowsky came with nickels, but I want to try the stainless. I'm a bright-sounding string kind of guy. I just checked recently, and the stainless strings are currently out of stock. Nino, if you're "listening", when do you expect them in?

Hopefully Roger will have them for sale at NAMM so I can stock up.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I use these strings on my 5 string Valenti and I have no problems but the bass is just as much a factor as the strings.