Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozbass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    So i did my first gig with my new (to me) NYC Vintage 4.
    Terrible gig in a smoky pub, no stage, playing on carpet, and stuck away in a corner! :eyebrow: .....BUT, the bass played great and the tone really shone through live.

I set the controls with a slight bias to the bridge p/up, Tone control very slightly open, a minor boost in the bass and no treble.....and hey presto!

A couple of Q's;
    Need a good case for the bass......any suggestions? I like the hiscox style, but the one i have for my Status too short and not deep enough.
    AND
    I'm gonna change strings and get a setup soon.....any suggestions on good strings for this bass?

Thanks alot guys

Oz

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Very nice looking bass!! :)

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very cool bass! I've got a 5 quilted with pick-guard, and I must admit I like quilted tops with pick-guard better then plain. As far as cases, if you want a single, I've heard nothing but good about Incase. I found a reunion blues double case, that is pretty cool and it protects a single bass real nice too.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Best case you can get is the RockBag Softlights from Warwick. That are similar to the Sadowsky's but MUCH MUCH better. You can take a 300 guy and stand on it and you bass is safe.

They aren't perfectly formed to your bass like the Sadowsky's but they are much safer. They have soft foam inserts you can get to make it more form fitting.

I won;t be using my Sadowsky cases with my Sad's. I have several of the Rockbag's and I feel much more confident with them.

If you are looking for gig bags again I would recommend RockBag. I have a double that is just awesome.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i think a pickguard with a figured top has alot of class. :bassist:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. I just picked up a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless 4 (two of them, actually - but that's a different story!), and those gig bags are extremely impressive!

Tom.

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Hey Tom -

Not the gig bags but their cases like the Sadowsky.

GREAT LOOKIGN BASS BY THE WAY!

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, are these squarish, like the Gator soft shell cases? I was thinking that you were talking about the heavily padded soft side Warwick Rockbag's. My Sadowsky came with a soft side case, much like the Gator, but I had seen photos of tapered soft side cases/bags from Sadowsky, and I thought that was what you were referring to.

Tom.

9. I too have one each of the Warwick bags (the light duty Rock bag and 1 of the heavier Softlights which I agreee is a bit more like a case as far as durability)and an Incase (2 of them) Tour Bag and an Incase Dub Bag (2 of them as well)......The Incase Tour bag is a bit more compact but a little heavier (to me) when packed......The Dub bag is actually QUITE heavy with 2 basses and associated gear in the Bag......the Warwicks are not as cumbersome and have a really nice balance between form, function, and weight.....I prefer the Warwick unless I am putting my gear in the trailer or it is possible that somebody else will be handling my stuff...for that the Incase Tour bag is my preference......Hope that helps!!

Peace,

T

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Hey Oz,

I'm surprised the Hiscox doesn't fit the bass - I've got two Hiscox cases, and whenever I have to fly with one of my Sadowsky basses, I always use a Hiscox (with extra protection added by underwear!! :D ). I guess there's a chance that the Status version of the case is slightly more contoured to accept a Status bass, but if you generic Hiscox, it'll fit for sure.

I'm not a big fan of the Sadowsky softcase - it's too bloody big, although I think it's a good quality piece of gear.

As for strings, try DR HiBeams - if you like a lot of snap in your sound, these are perfect. The Sunbeams are really nice as well, but have a little less top end than the HiBeams.

Nice bass, BTW.

11. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks.
    Yes, the Hiscox I have is branded Status, specifically fitted to the shape.

Re the strings, someone else recommended DR's today...the Marcus Miller Fatbeams.

Thanks for the heads up on the Warwick cases guys ;)

Cheers
    Oz

12. I also like the DR strings on my Sadowsky Vintage. I use the standard Hi Beams. If you can find an Incase Slim Bag somewhere... it's the ultimate case (IMO). The Tourbags are not nearly as good and quite cumbersome. The DUB bags (I sold mine quickly!) have real problems with size, weight and the way the two basses sit in the bag. However... that Slimbag is amazing.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Very helpful, thanks!

Tom.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What do you guys think of the Levy's gig bags?

15. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i love the sadowsky case. its so light. i dont have to carry a gig bag anymore cause on the big front pouch. ive always used hard shell cases so there probably are better cases out the like the sadowsky case, i really dont know. but like i said, i really like the sadowsky case.

16. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Oz,

For strings I would recommend the Sadowsky Bright Nickels. I use them on my Metro and really like the tone they deliver.

Bones

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hear sadowsky strings are indeed very nice.

18. I second the Sadowsky bright Nickels and I LOVE his flats too.....I ONLY use Sadowsky Nickels or Flats on ALL my Basses now..

Peace,

T

19. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    What's the deal with Roger's strings these days? Do any of you guys know who makes them? I know in the past they were made by LaBella (I believe they were Hard Rockin' Steels), but I believe he changed supplier in the last few years.

Reason I ask is that I must be the only person on this board who's ever had a bad experience with his strings. I bought 12 packs of the 40-100, and the E and and A on about 9 packs were dead on arrival. I spoke with Roger, he was quite good about it and replaced them (although that kinda got screwed up as well), but it turned me off them for ever. This is going back about 3 or 4 years back.

Not meant as a slag at all, just seems that I've never seen anyone else with a bad comment about the strings, so I've always hoped I was just the unlucky one who got the bad batch.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I believe R.Cocco makes the strings now to Rogers specs, and from what I've heard they are not available in another brand.