Sadowsky...the sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Well, this entire CD was recorded with two Sadowsky electric guitars and one Sadowsky jazz bass. If you like the tones, give credit to Roger. If you think the tones and playing suck, then blame me.

Bass recorded DI from Kern preamp. Occasionally an FMR RNC compressor was used. Electric guitars recorded from Soldano SLO and X99 into Palmer speaker simulator. No mics for them!

This isn't a shameless plug to buy my CD. But go ahead anyway. The sound samples are long but try to listen to them on something other than computer speakers.

And I do have a solid day job.;)
  2. nice stuff Jim! if you don't mind me asking, did you record the in your own facility or did you go to a local studio? i just got done recording a 4 song demo for a band down at ridenour studios, but it sounds like the quality you're getting may be a bit better than what i was hearing down there. i know this isn't an audio gear forum, but i would love to hear what sort of studio gear was used, etc... adats, pro-tools, nuendo, etc.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

I guess the bass and guitar sound okay...

It's just that...

4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Could the bassist and drummer hear each other when they were recording this?

The rhythm section needs work. . .lots, and lots, of work.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Ridenour, huh? is Paul Pettit still there?? tell him Adrian Garcia said he better get you a smoking bass sound or else!! oh, and say hello to Ft Lauderdale for me, will you?? I miss it sometimes...
  7. It was a started as song sketches, and morphed into a demo and then a bit further. The drums, obviously were added LAST on all but three tracks. My kids play drums on the last two songs. REMin' was done with bass and drums together.

I did it all at home. DIs to RME ADI-9 PRO ad/da converters lightpiped to Digi001 ProTools on a Mac G4 733Mhz. All reverb and echoes via Waves Native Gold Bundle software. The sound quality on a good stereo is pretty nice.

Again, the idea to post this here is for the tones; not the performance. I have a freakin' day job so don't worry about me getting food on the table.
  8. Er...NO!

9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Sorry to go off-topic! also sorry to end up criticizing your kids! :( given the constraints (especially recording drums last, eek) it doesn't sound half bad. :)
  10. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    WAY TO GO, JIM! You clearly have some passion in your playing. I think that's great and thanks for sharing!

Also, great tones! My Sadowsky into Protools sounds similar. About the drumming/rhthym thing...have you tried using the click feature in Digi 001? Not that I'm any pro or anything, but I play along to the click first or a simple drum maching first using the click track/MIDI feature and them go back and add "drums" later!

I've got a day job too and two little ones, but I have fun so I don't care what ANYONE says. :) Here's some of my stuff...(Cheech and Chong meets Blue Oyster cult AND the Minutemen meet ZZ Top!)

11. i didn't see him, keith was behind the board when i was there.