Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Tokyo is the real deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kernpre, Feb 7, 2003.

1. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    Just got this an hour ago. I've been a Fender passive Jazz and P guy for the most part with the occasional new school (American Spector, Lakland).

Primary axe for last 5 years has been Fender RB5.

This Sadowsky Tokyo just killed me. IMO it is every bit as "Sadowsky" as any other. Mind you, I've never owned a NYC Sadowksy, but I've played several, and this RJ5 has the same look, feel and, most importantly, SOUND. It is Roger that I've dealt with the whole time, and he seems to stand behind these 100%. It just so happens to offer some things the NY versions don't (Treble cut, block inlays, bound neck). There is nothing "knockoff" about it.

I've tried the Lakland Skylines, and they just didn't seem to have the playability and feel of the american counterpart. THis one does.

Anyhow...Soooooo cool. Tone galore and that neck. My god that neck.

And a note on the service. For those who currently own, they know. But for those who've never dealt with Sadowsky...Fender has never made contact via email or otherwise in the 20 years I've played 'em. Roger was ringing my cell phone within an hour of my reciept to make sure it came untouched. Enough said.

I'm done gushing. for now...

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm digging those myself. Congrats!

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i so gassed over that bass!!- congrats!

4. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    So what do these things go for? Price?

5. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    thanks fellas.

Goes for $2475 or so. About one grand less than the US. Pretty reasonable from my vantage, but then again...when telling a guitarist buddy how much it was going to cost he was like, "for ash and maple bolt on?"...So it depends on your take.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's an "ash and maple bolt-on" like a Porsche 550 Spyder is a "used car"! I think you did quite well there.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    These things will be a sweet deal when they hit the used market.

Thats the only way I will ever afford one!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    It is kinda steep for an import line.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You have to remember that it's not a mass produced bass like other High End companies imports. These basses are hand built just like the Sadowsky USA basses only in Japan...

...which brings me to my other point. It'smade in Japan, where again, other High End companies imports aren't made. Alot of companied, i.e. Fender, Ibanez, etc, have reduced their manifacture of instruments in favor of other placed like Mexico, Korea, Indonesia, etc where it is ALOT CHEAPER to make an instrument.

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Oh, BTW, congrats on the bass!!!! I didn't get a chance to play it on Wed. :(

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How heavy was that one again? There's an Atelier Z at Bunnybass that's 11 pounds.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Nino: Excellent point. Out of curiosity, do you think that some people would rather get an NY Sad for about $2300 and lower on the used market than one of these at a higher price?

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It all depends on what the buyer is looking for. The Tokyo feels every bit as good as a USA. The workmanship is there, quality of wood & hardware, etc. Aslo, You can't get a USA Sadowsky with Block inlays & binding so if you want that 70's Jazz bass look in a Sadowsky, this is it.

Also, We had a few customers that came into the shop & like the sound of thwe Tokyo Model better than the USA Model. The USA pre-amp is brighter then the warmer Tokyo pre-amp.

I really can't say cause eventually, I'll have a Tokyo 4 or 5 or both :) & USA 4's & 5's.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The ones that we've been getting in are on average between 9-10.5 lbs.

My Atelier Z 5 string is slightly over 10Lbs. I've played about 6 or 7 @ Jimmy Coppollos shop in NYC & they were between 13-15LBS!!!!! Talk about a back breaker!!!!!:eek:

15. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, that's a great lookin' and probably playin'/soundin' bass. BUT...your comment about the "playability" or whatever of the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 vs american counterpart? Where's that coming from? I bought a new Lake Placid blue JO5 Skyline. It cost a little over 1/3 of your Sadowsky Japan. I can get a retro J preamp installed for another $200 or so. So for about 1/2 I have a really nice active jazz bass 5 with a kick ass B string. Your comparing what is essentially a $1000 bass to a $2500 bass be a Sadowsky Tokyo or a Lakland American Osborn 5. They're not fairly comparable.

I don't feel personally that either of those two basses are double the bass of the Skyline. You need to compare the Skyline with a $1000 Fender Jazz or a MusicMan, or G&L. And even then these basses are all several hundred more than the JO5 Skyline. It's very playable. It sounds great, looks nice, sure it's not finished as in as much detail as any Sadowsky, but it's not supposed to compete with basses that are almost triple the price.

Mine is extremely "playable", nice action, reasonable weight, tight taut B string, sounds like a j bass with an extra string + a little extra balls.

For a grand, it's a bargain. The Tokyo Sadowsky is also a bargain compared to a lot of other, more expensive American and overseas made Fender jazz style basses, whether passive or active.

Good luck.

LK

16. JayJay

JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hi Nino,

I kept hearing block inlay and binding whenever bassists talk about the 70's Jazz bass. I know what is the block inlay which is the fret position marker. But what exactly is binding.

Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks
    Jay

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

18. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not intending on arguing about it...I'm making a point that a $2500 bass should have better components, quality, or something to justify it being 2.5 times more expensive than a $1000 bass. I own an F bass BN5 that cost me over $3000. This isn't about comfort in spending xxx amount or yyy amount. I also feel the American Laklands are nicer basses than their Korean brethren. They should be..they cost 2.5 times more. I owned a Deluxe 5594. It was a "nicer" bass in many ways than the JO5 I bought just as you are mentioning. That's not an issue.

The issue to me is what's the point of paying $2500 for something that basically is a slightly better neck, electronics, and setup than pretty much the exact same bass that costs a $1000 less with not better electronics and when a J retro preamp is added to the Skyline JO5 bringing its total to $1200 vs $2500 even that advantage is negated.

I can justify the F bass because it's unique and I love the sound and playability much more than any Lakland I've ever owned (I've owned 4 of them now). What I can't do is justify getting an American Lakland JO5 for instance just to have a little better fit and finish, not for $1500 more.

That's my point. Sorry it took so long to rehash.

L

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, kempre, looks like a sweet 70's Jazz style bass. I'm very partial to those.

I might as well chime in on the Lakland thing since I was surprised at the playability comment. I just got a used 55-02 with the uprgraded tuners. A couple of months back I traded my 1999 55-94 Limited that I had owned for three years.

I was extremely surprised at the sound and playability of my Skyline. It plays at least as well as my top of the line US Lakland (actual I think I'd give it the edge) and sounds more aggressive without any harshness. I've owned three Laklands; a 55-01, a 55-02 and the 55-94 Limited. Without question here's how I'd rank them

1. 55-02
    2. 55-94
    3. 55-01

The fretjob of the -02 is excellent, it came in with the action set very low (like I like it) and plays like a dream. I think not having a pretty top contributes to the sound of the bass, which is killer. Solo the bridge pickup and IMO it does sound like a Stingray, which my Limited didn't. Three very distinct sounds are available with the coil tap. The sound I wanted in my Limited is there in the 55-02.

I didn't buy it with the intention of keeping it but so far it is so nice that's the plan. I got it for $750 with the same G&G HSC the US basses come in.

No one is more suprprised than me. I figured it would be nice but not this nice.

20. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC