Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Tokyo Series RJ5 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmangreg, Aug 8, 2003.

1. How can I get the scoop on the Sadowsky Tokyo Series RJ5 5 string bass. Hows that neck feel? What's the string spacing at the bridge and what preamp is used? Would you trade an excellent bass or two for one of them? Can someone please elaborate? Is there a manual available that I can download yet?

Does anyone sell them in Ohio?

I have a couple of basses one a Zon Sonus 5/2 shoreline gold and an Alembic Epic 5 zebrawood that has a 17 mm spacing and the other (epic) 18 mm that might be put up for one if this Sadowsky can replace them.

Sorry if this subject has been approached several times. Please respond only if you have the expertise and hands on knowledge.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This bass has been talked about alot here in the past few months. If you do a Search with "Sadowsky" or "Sadowsky Tokyo", you'll get the info you need.

Hows that neck feel?
    -Very Similkar to the USA models. To me it's very comfortable & fits my hand like a glove.

What's the string spacing at the bridge and what preamp is used? -IIRC, it's 19mm. The pre-amp is a version of the USA preamp that is slightly different. It is alittler warmer sounding than the USA pre & is a cut/boost on the trebble & boost only on the bass.

Would you trade an excellent bass or two for one of them?
    -Only you can answer than question. Personally, I did. I sold 4 USA Spectors to buy the USA Sadowsky's that I have

Also, Sadowsky basses have a 7 day approval period so you can compare them to the basses you currently have. Then, IMO, you can make the best, hands on decesion.

Is there a manual available that I can download yet?
    -It's not a manual but here is the info from the Sadowsky website: http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_tokyo.html

Does anyone sell them in Ohio?
    -No, but you can get one direct from Sadowsky guitars. www.sadowsky.com

3. Well...Well, Nino.
    You answered every single question.
    How thick is that head stock? Is it at least a half inch?
    What is your price range for the 5 string and does it come with a deluxe case?

4. Here's a true analogy:

I had 12 PRS guitars, 2 ESP, 1 Fender.
    I received my 2nd Sadowsky guitar.
    I have 1 PRS left and no ESP or Fender.

I have 2 Sadowsky basses.
    I have lust for no other fretted bass.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Off hand, I'm not sure on the thickness of the headstock. IIRC, it comes with a gigbag but I think that they are switching over to cases. The last couple of basses we received from Japan had Hardshell cases.