Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Tokyo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i am totally confused? can anyone gove me any info about this? a new sad for around1300 american? cant be true

2. where did you see this? link? That would be awesome for those of us who dont have 3000-4000 to get a real one.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i saw it in a post earlier then i did a google search for it. i am hoping nino will pipe in

4. Yes it is made in Tokyo.
    http://members.aol.com/intertunei/sadowskytokyo

Quote from Roger Sadowsky:
    Sadowsky Tokyo is made by my associate, Yoshi Kikuchi, in Japan. It is madein the same style as I build in the US and Mr. Kikuchi worked with me in NY for 1 year before beginning this project. The quality, for the money, is very high. All the components are made in Japan and hand assembled by Mr. Kikuchi and his staff.

They are a bit diffferent than Roger's material, but off course, still a super Fender. I have look at it by my eyes. Workmanship is OK, I don't know about the sound yet.

5. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Wow, that's pretty cool...

The components look pretty nice... Bada$$ bridges, Hipshot Ultra Light tuners, original Sadowsky preamp, etc.

I guess this would be similar to Lakland's "Skyline" operation...:) I'll be that they sound just about as sweet as an American-built, but the workmanship probably doesn't "feel" quite the same. Either way, it's bound to be a winner in my book.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ooooh... sounds nice. Where did you get that 1300 $ quote? Is that list? How much would that RJ5 cost? Nino, anyone?

8. Hi folks,

A few week ago I played a 4 stringer, 2 tone sunburst, ash body, maple neck and fretboard, white pickguard. Indeed, this bass sounded very Sadowsky like; has the same kind of punch found on the originals. A friend of mine has a similar USA Sadowsky 4 stringer which sounds a little bit less modern and has a nicer growl when the bridge pup is soloed. The quality is TOP notch and it has a reasonable price tag. In the Netherlands you'll pay about 2500 euro's for it. Resale value will be a lot less due to the fact it's not an USA Sadowsky. Sadowsky Tokyo also offers MOP block inlay which is a good thing (Sadowsky USA doesn't). If you get the chance to try one you'll like it for sure.

Regards, Werner.

9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I will be introducing the Sadowsky Tokyo instruments on my web site in a few weeks. If you are interested, please subscribe to the mailing list on my in-stock page as I will send a notice as soon as the web site has been updated in regard to the Sadowsky Tokyo line.

Just to handle the early speculation, these instruments are made by my assistant, Mr. Yoshi Kikuchi, who used to own Atelier Z. He sold his company in order to work with me. Yoshi and his 3 assistants build the Sadowsky Tokyo line under my supervision. Yoshi spent one year working with me in my shop prior to beginning the Sadowsky Tokyo line (leaving a wife and 2 children behind in Japan). He has the same passion for quality that I do.

These instruments are of supurb quality and are not to be compared to import lines made in Korea. The cost of manufacturing in Japan is as expensive as the USA. The initial instruments offered in the US will be 4 string ($2125 with gig bag) and 5 string ($2475 w/gig bag) basses with binding and block inlays as this is something I do not offer on my US models. A vintage 4 string without binding and block inlays will sell for $1850 (vs $3025 for a comparable US model) and a 5 string without binding and inlays will be $2195 (vs $3325 for a US model). These prices are subject to change.

Overall, the Sadowsky Tokyo models will offer Sadowsky quality at about 35% less than the cost of my US instruments.

Roger Sadowsky

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thank you mr sadowsky.

ps Lovin my pre amp!

11. So you're essentially saying we'd be fools to buy a US Sadowsky now?

;)

12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Pantera said:
    So you're essentially saying we'd be fools to buy a US Sadowsky now?

In the event anyone missed his winking smiley face, I thought I better respond to this.

The Sadowsky Tokyo line is in addition to the Sadowsky NYC basses. I will offer a limited range of models with very few options. They will not be a replacement for my NYC instruments.

I have attached a photo of a 5 string we currently have in stock.

Roger

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I must thank Mr Roger Sadowsky for raising my GAS Level a little more ;)

DM

PS: Hopefully I can visit your Shop soon Mr Sadowsky... I would definitely love to try out your basses... all i've heard are praises about your basses! Keep up the great work!

14. I find this all amusing in that in that Sadowsky started out to make a hand made version of the Fender for those who wanted a Fender sound and look but at a much higher quality and , of course, price. Now the design is being farmed out overseas so a bass can be offered at a lower price for us poor slobs who can't efford the US model.

15. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hi Roger,
    Are the bodies in the Sadowsky Tokyo models based on your standard or vintage (slightly reduced body) or are they based on your Ultra Vintage (Full-sized) body?

I'm thinking 5 strings in transblue or sunburst with dots may be in my future...to accompany my Vintage 4. :)

Ken

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    what about the pick up and the pre amp?
    same one as the US model?

17. Okay... now that the cat's out of the bag, I can finally admit I played one of these a couple of months ago! A "Marcus Miller" style 4 string with block inlays and binding. It sounded great, balanced perfectly and had Roger's typical flawless attention to detail.

IMO, anyone even thinking about an FMT Fender (or equivalent) should consider one of these basses.

Good luck, Roger!

Jeff

18. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    This could get me in some trouble.....

[​IMG]

:D

P@

19. Ooooooooooh Niiiiiiiiiinoooooooo... ;)