Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Tube amp!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bikeplate, Oct 19, 2005.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yep, not a misprint. LOL Just got back from the shop in NYC and was lucky enough to be about the first guy to try one out. It killed. 200 watts, all tube bass head. Has very usuable, musical eq section, fat switch(loved it!), tuner out, etc etc!!! Cool silver look, prob 4 rack spaces(not sure), about 40lbs. He just got his first shipment in yesterday. I sat and played through one for close to an hour. Switched from a Berg 610 to a Berg 210 to an EA wizzy 12. All sounded very righteous!! Lots of pop, very dynamic. Pretty much ran the amp and the basses flat. Sounded great this way. I didnt feel I needed to eq that much. Was also able to get an agressive, edgy dirt tone with the gain knob. Totally cool. I'm sure Roger and the crew with be featuring them for sale soon on the site.

Rob

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks for the review, Rob. The price prevents it from triggering my GAS, but I love hearing about new products regardless (even if it is "retro-new").

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    WOW, but 200w, that's not very much....I wonder how loud it can get!

4. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Well, the whole shop was shaking. LOL. Its all tube. The Aguilar is 300w and you cant hear yourself think with that amp, either

Rob

5. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Isn't the Aguilar 400w, I think so, but anyway 200w can be pretty loud, I agree, I just had a DB359 (200w)at one time, and I felt it was a bit underpowered, but the TONE was AWESOME!...would love to try that sadowsky amp...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

guess i'm stoppin' by next week.. ;)

and the aggie DB359's 200 watts as well, but pretty weighty despite being 2 rack spaces.

7. That 359 sounded great... but IMO sounded like about 50 watts volume-wise!

8. An SVT is only 300 watts, as in a Mesa 400/400+ , the extra 100 watts isnt giving it that much more in the way of dB, but anyway, would you say either of them were under powered?

9. This is an example again of why a 'published watt is not a published watt'. The SVT is massively loud for 300 watts. The 359 is very soft (both in my limited experience and from other posters) for 200 watts! I assume the Sadowsky will be more on the loud side :hyper:

10. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    definetely not, I have owned the SVT, aguilar db359 and the db728....The DB359 was just a tad underpowered for me, but sounded freakin awesome, the SVT was LOUD and the DB728 is just EXTREMELY loud. I know that the wattage difference is small, but there is a big volume difference to my ear between these 3 amps..that said, I'm not saying the new sadowsky is underpowered, but my experience with tube amps is that 200w might not be enough for me, but I will not judge any amp on numbers, and I couldn't imagine Roger making an amp that was underpowered. I would just love a 200w all-tube amp that delivered the goods and only weighed 40lbs! :hyper:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bikeplate! I've been posting a bit about this amp over in this thread. One of those first five amps is heading my way! Here is a little snippet of what I posted in the other thread:

So, if you load it with, say KT-88's, it should right about 300w. I plan on trying multiple tube types once I get mine in my anxious hands!

As for the DB 359, I also find it to be less loud than you would expect from a 200w all tube head. My Trace Elliot Quatra Valve sounds a good bit louder to me. Of course, the DB 728 is even louder than I would have expected (even considering it's 400w rating), and a vintage SVT will crush many other "300 watt" tube amps in the volume wars. There are lots of variables, it seems. I will say this, though. The DB 359 is a tone machine!

Laters, Tom.

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cool Tom. I have an EA iamp 800 and have owned many, many powerful bass amps. Some include the Eden world tour, Mesa 400, Ampeg, and just recently a Demeter pre driven by a bridged QSC 2402. Trust me, this amp I tried today has plenty of pop. I found all the tones to be very useful and musical. I too really liked the cool ways to overdrive the tone and get a ratty or edgy sound. I thought it was just an overall great tube bass amp. Its something I'd like to pick up down the road and use for certain gigs. Too cool

Rob

13. Ah right, its cool, hey, if one aint loud enough, get 2 ;)

(and a second morgage)

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine