Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Well, some good fortune has smiled on me and it looks like I'm going to be coming into some unexpected loot... :hyper:

I've been dreaming about one of Roger's ultra-vintage basses for some time and after recently getting a used 4, I am completely hooked! Add me to the list of those who believe the extra $$ is worth it....I can do things I've never done on my other basses and it just feels soooo right! :D
    I'm thinking shoreline gold or sherwood those colors...

Has anyone out there played or heard one of these basses! I'd love to hear your thoughts though, whether you've played one or not...thanks!

Note: Will soon change my tagline to "Incurable Sadowsky addict". :D
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well we have the cure, the cure for p-bass is more sadowsky. haha
  3. I've got a Vintage in the oven with Roger...but it's an Ultra P/J (with the Jazz in the 70's position). Ash, 59 burst, maple board. I ordered it sight unseen (regarding the Ultr Vintage line). It's GOT to be a great bass. I've got faith in Roger.
    I would have assumed you would have gone w/ a P or a P/J as well. (?)
  4. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I've got a P/J standard on order from Roger that will hopefully be mine by xmas. I can't wait that long!!!!!
  5. We must've ordered at about the same time!
  6. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    So our P/J's will be brothers!! I ordered mine in mid June. We can trade family photos in December, I hope! mine will have a natural AAA quilt top on Alder with Morado board.
  7. Oh yes! After being a long-time p bass nut I've recently become enamored with j basses----and it didn't hurt the conversion process to start with a Sadowky j as my first either! :D
    I've currently have a '57p and a '59 p so that's another reason I'll probably opt for the ultra-vintage p over the j....both of mine are far from all-original (both refins, changed pups and other hardware but the bodies and necks are the real deal).

I'm sure the p/j would be awesome but since I'm looking for the traditional look, the j or p would be it---but it's going to be a j---and with a matching headstock as well! I've lusted after one for years but they're near-impossible to find and those that are are commanding stratospheric prices. Notwithstanding that, I'm so taken with the quality, playability and sound of his basses that I'm moving away from the traditionalist mentality I've held that doesn't allow for copies of those famous designs...even though I know Lull, Lakland, Celinder and others have improved on those designs...somehow the Sadowsky has opened me up to different possibilities----even though it's not a REAL Fender...I can finally deal with that...."and the truth shall set you free!" :hyper:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

9. Pretty...but for me; I'm a 'burst' kinda guy. Although my '64 is in the white. I like black too. Oh hell, the truth of the matter is really in how it plays...and I think anyone who's grown up on Fenders will appreciate Sadowsky. I've not picked one up that was lack-luster.
  10. I thought about doing the maple top...but then I was like - 'go for the vintage look'. The only other reason I'm going UV is the 20 fret board...something about that hangover 21st fret and that the end of the board looks very 'squared off'. And yes...we'll share family photos! ha!

11. Who cares about being a refin and some new p/u's! Its the way that old wood resonates!
    I went for the P/J only to get the two distinct tones of the P and the J in one well playing instrument...I've never been a huge fan of both pickups wide open together. I'll probably always have one full on and then varying degrees of the other.
  12. Yikes! What I meant to say is that's why I'll opt for the ultra-vintage j over the p....I agree, there's something about the old wood that's special. On the other hand, you have to appreciate the absence of dead notes and the evenness of the string to string response of an improved version of the instrument...I'm getting used to it very fast. :hyper:
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i had the good fortune of being able to try a Sadowsky Precision last night, and while, it quite possibly has to be the BEST i've ever played, i'm realizing more and more that i'm a J bass kinda guy.

but daggnabbit, if i were a P bass dood, i'd pick up that one in a heartbeat!
  14. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Has anyone here seen the Newstead "solo" clip on Ares or Limewire or whatever? I believe it's a P/J and IT SOUNDS AMAZING even through my sub-less pc speakers :meh:
  15. Don't do this to me!!! Now, I'm going to want one of each!!! :D

Seriously though, I don't think Roger builds many of either the UV-j or the UV-p basses. That was one of the reasons I'm considering sherwood green for my UV-j....there's a good chance he's never done one before (w/matching headstock)and I love the idea of having what would be a very unique instrument that is at the same time eminently practical and versatile... :hyper:
  16. Ya know I heard a theory a number or years back put forth by (I believe) Rick Turner. He says, for the most part, the reason those old instruments play so well AND are LESS likely to present with dead spots, is BECAUSE the wood has been resonating for 30-40+ years and that the wood continually 'settles' and 'tightens'. I think I buy it. My '64 is virtually free (that I can tell) of any bad spots. (i.e. the usual C, C# on the G string) A many of the old pieces I've owned or played feel/sound similar.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like his bass solos/doodles.
  18. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    UVJ Coral Salmon Pink:
  19. WOW!!!! That's a beautiful bass indeed! I'd love to get my hands on that! :bassist: Bet it sounds kingdom for a soundclip!