Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky UV Metro vs. KSD Proto Jazz 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Is the KSD Proto 4-string even comparable to the Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage Metro? Both have the same cosmetic aesthetic that I love. I'd plan to run the KSD thru a Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal as well. Any thoughts?

My original plan was to build a similar-style bass with Warmoth parts and Duncan Antiquity 2 pups... just weighing my options!

Thanks!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You should do a search, there was similar thread a while back and most Sadowsky owners made it clear that KSD is in much lower category of fit and finish.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have played both extensively. Not for nuttin' but in my estimation there is not $1,000.00 difference in quality to warrant the extra expenditure.

You are paying for the boutique name brand with both but why pay double ?

I'm not knocking Sadowsky I just think in this case you can get the results you need without going broke on a J copy.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Have played the Metro s and the KSD's and there is NO comparison. They are lightyears apart in quality of the build, fit, finish and tone!

Hands down, get the Sadowsky!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I feel the same as Mike. Dont hesitate. Get the Sadowsky. Much more care is taken to produce them and the tone just shines

Rob

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ah, spoken from true Sadowsky syncophants !

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

We all have our opinions.

Rob

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    This is true. But it seems that the Sadowsky contingent on this forum wears blinders for the most part and wouldn't give praise to any other bass regardless of its properties. Still not bashing Sadowsky i just think a measure of fairness is in order.

I owned a Sadowsky briefly, great bass, just wasn't my cup of tea.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I think the best way to "test" these two basses would be a blindfold test. I also owned a KSD that was every bit as good in fit and finish not to mention tone as my sadowsky.

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Like I said, we all have out opinions. I didnt bash the Smith. Just think the Sadowsky is better built and warrants the extra cash. I'm free to express my opinion, just like u. I've owned pretty much every high end J you can imagine. If the KSD was a better bass to me, i'd use them. Why wouldnt I?
    Plus they are half the $. Instead of my 3 Sad's I could have 6 of the Smiths. More like 8 or 9 actually.

170 gigs a year, recording, and owning all of the competition says that I have the right to express my opinion about the Jazz bass market

Rob

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    excuse me...

12. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Ok guys chill... what are we, guitarists???

BTW, this bass will be a backup to my '64 Jazz... just something to gig and record with without feeling like there's a liability resting on my shoulders. The Sadowsky might be worth the extra loot as a main instrument, but for my purposes, it could be a bit too much. I plan to check out both extensively. Thanks!

13. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'm a Sadowsky owner, but having just read your comments here, I'm gonna come out of left field and recommend a Fender Classic 60s Jazz (yes, the Mexican one)! Thing is, I love my Sadowsky basses, but I don't think they're gonna give you a 60s Jazz vibe, and a Sadowsky is gonna cost an awful lot of dosh just for something that's nearly what you want, but not quite. The Fender Mex Classic Jazz really nails that 60s vibe (well, close enough to be a good backup, at least), and it costs a helluva lot less than a Sadowsky.

14. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Interesting... i have also been looking at the Fender geddy lee and '75 vintage models too. As much as i love my '64, i would also like something slightly different... just to spice things up a bit. The 70's look and feel is quite nice and just different enough, ya know?

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bassaussie, I think your post is what a lot of Non-Sadowsky owners like to see, an admission that your basses, although great, can't do
    everything.

I honestly am not out to rip Sadowsky, if I could afford one, I would have ordered one a year ago just to what the fuss is about. It's just that Sadowsky love can get a bit obsessive around here from time to time. That said, if I ever get one, I may be going just as crazy as some of you guys seem to be. :)

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    JPrisus, if you want the '70's vibe, then you probably are getting into Sadowsky territory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

17. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    The Geddy Lee is an awesome bass as well, but it's gonna take you more in the direction of the Sadowsky. My recommendation above was to get as close to the '64 but without the huge expense, but if you want some variety, then the Geddy would be a great alternative. I've had a chance to compare my Sadowskys to a Geddy that was set up amazingly well, and while I prefer my Sadowsky basses, I'll concede that the Geddy Lee is a lot of bass for a very reasonable price. However, if money isn't a huge consideration, Roger's basses are definitely worth checking out.

18. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yeah, I think the whole Sadowsky issue has been done to death, to be honest. It's the same with the 7/8/9 string argument, the Jaco argument, the Carol Kaye argument etc etc ad nauseum. Really, it all comes down to this - if it works for you, that's all that matters. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just do what works for you, and everything'll be cool.

19. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah, people really seem to love their Sadowsky's...I didn't really like mine at all. For a jazz sound, I prefer a more modern tone than what my Sad was giving me. I recently bought a Schecter...lol...California Cusom 4 with EMG's for $265, and IMO, sounds way better than my old Sadowsky. I don't know, I think that you should play a bunch of basses and decide. I seem to hate all the basses everyone seems to really like on this board. The 2 Laklands I had were god awful sounding to me, but they were such deals I had to buy them. I don't really bother listening to people's suggestions on what bass to buy, its way too subjective. Right now I have a Washburn with Status pickups and preamp and the Schecter and they rival anything I have owned so far, including Lakland's, Sadowsky's, Musicman's, Bossa's, ZON's etc. I paid less than $500 for both. The only bass I miss is the Modulus Q5 that was stolen.

20. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Exactly. I said what i prefer and i was insulted.

There are plenty of great j basses to look at and try. Sounds like you want the Sadowsky. You run his preamp already, right?

Try a lull, lakland and a pensa All are great examples of jazz basses. I dont feel the KSD has the same build quality and tone of any of these examples. Enough said

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.