1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Vintage 4 - J/J or P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santraginus, Mar 14, 2008.

1. After a quite unexpected promotion at my company, my ressources changed in a very nice way... So I am contemplating about ordering a Sadowsky Vintage 4.

But my problem is... So far, I own only basses with J/J configuration (a Sadowsky Vintage 5, three different 4's and a fretless Yamaha BB 404). Even though I am really happy with the sounds I get from that pickup configuration, I am not sure wether or not I should add a P/J...

So, you folks with multiple Sadowsky basses: Please tell me something about the pros and cons of a P/J (Jazz body style) compared to a J/J.

Thanks in advance!

2. I think you answered you question. You've got a bunch of JJ basses.

I have both and like 'em a lot. But being a slut for Marcus Miller tone I'd opt for the J. But if I were in you shoes I'd get the PJ or reverse PJ.

And being in my shoes: I have both. :)

frontSadpjandJcouch.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I'm assuming you're getting a NYC model right? I think you can get those with a universal route for the neck pickup, that way you can switch from J/J to P/J. I think that would be the way to go.

4. + 1 Smart man.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This is what I ordered, but there is a caveat. The pickguard for a PJ config extends back at a slightly different angle than that for a JJ config. The difference is subtle, but you will notice it if you see a JJ vintage and a PJ vintage next to each other and you might look at a JJ with the PJ route under the guard and think "something looks off". The advice I was given by Sadowsky was that if you want a PJ, it doesn hurt to have the Universal route, but if you want a JJ primarily, you will hurt the "look" of the classic JJ to have the PJ route as you will always have to use the bigger pickguard, whatever the config its in. I intend mine to be PJ most of the time so went for the universal route.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Definitely offers more flexibility.

I have a convertible Sadowsky that goes from PJ to JJ. I keep it in PJ mode most of the time since I also have a Metro fiver with JJ single coils.

Here it is without the PG:
    IMG_0391.

Mine has quick connects on the pickups, so the changeover takes about 10-15 min.

Here it is in JJ configuration. As Mark noted, it does LOOK slightly different than a standard JJ due to the oversized PG which is necessary to cover up the dual routing:
    IMG_0387.

Keep in mind that a convertible PJ/JJ (as with a regular Sadowsky RV4) comes with the humcancelling pickups, which sound slightly different from a typical Jazz with single coils.

7. Thanks - I'm a lefty, so it will have to be a NYC. I was thinking about a universal route, too... But since I do have several Jazz basses, I thought that it would be fine if the bass stayed a P/J.

Sound-wise... my RV 5 Jazz cuts through very well... How does the P/J in a blues-rock setting work (two loud guitars and a drummer who's afraid of silence...)?

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    My PJ, as Bartman's, is routed for both PJ and JJ, but I have no plans to use the JJ config. The PJ kills!!! You're going to love it for blues rock.

[​IMG]