Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Vintage 5 #4335 is mine...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJung, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Well, thanks to all you TB'rs talking them up and especially thanks to MikeBass for letting me play his wonderful Sadowsky's (and also 'Burke'), I've taken the plunge. It's already listed as sold on the site, and will be shipped to me 'on the road' next week... so I'll immediately get it on a few gigs. As a 'fancy wood neck through guy' for years, I've come all the way back around to the J-Bass type vibe... it feels good! :hyper:

Mike (Mikebass) has already mentioned that he's looking forward to posting an A/B comparison between his Metro and this NYC... since they are the same woods (even the same color) and both have the passive tone control. Won't I feel dumb if they are EXACTLY the same :D

Anyway, my second purchase (the Schroeder was the first) driven by the site.... I need to stop logging in!!!!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats your getting an excellent instrument, thats awesome that you will have it in time to take it on the road since these basses are ment to be played live.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hi!

LOL. Really cool, Ken, you continually impress me with your fine taste and deep pockets! Enjoy it and play your butt off in STL!

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Just barely beat me. Play the heck out of it. Let us know what u think after a couple gigs or rehearsals. Thats where these basses have the edge

Rob

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That was close! Just joshing ya. Can't wait for the report. Nice looking axe.

6. Well, the rule is if I buy one I sell one... so the pockets aren't that deep :D

What really started this was the thread someone started asking if anyone still really liked their Lakland 94-55. I hadn't thought about it in a while (I actually leave that bass in St. Louis, where I play quite a bit even though I live in Detroit). I realized.... I really didn't like it that much anymore... so, it will be hanging down at LDS when I get back into town

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the look of this bass. I've been thinking about a Lakland JO5 just like that, but that one would do just fine. I played one like it when I was at Roger's shop last year, and couldn't get my tone out of it, but now I understand his EQ and VTC better, so I'm sure it rules.

Anyway, here's a pic of yours to make it real. Beautiful bass.

[​IMG]

8. The bass looks very fine.
    Is it to soon for you to compare it to your Celinder. May I ask why you brought the Sadowsky? Everyone talks about Sadowsky all time and they seens to be the big thing on this forum.
    I might buy a metro in this weekend so see if it's true what 95% of all tb'ers saying ;)

Christian

9. Hello. Well, I don't get the Sadowsky until next week, so I can't compare this particular bass to my Celinder Update. However, Mikebass and I have compared his Sadowsky Metro Vintage 4 and Vintage 5 (both alder/morado boards) with my Celinder Update 5 on a number of occasions. Both brands are great, but the models are very different. My Celinder Update 5 is meant to cop that aggressive 70's funk vibe... it's a relatively heavy piece of Danish Ash, large body, with a maple neck and board and the 70's pickup placement. The preamp is very bright (if you want it to be), and this bass is Chris Celinder's 'tribute' to the Marcus Miller sound. It does truly capture that vibe... but... you give up the extreme mid punch 'burp' and warmth of a more 60's style instrument, like the Sadowsky Vintage line. They really, really punch and growl, and are lightweight and small (both in body dimensions and neck profile).

The better comparison would probably be the Celinder Vintage with the Sadowsky Vintage, and the Celinder Update5 with the Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage (I think that's what they call their 70's style bass with the larger body, 70's pickup placement and maple board). I have a feeling that the Celinders in general will have a slightly more scooped sound, with an enhanced treble response due to the Greengrove preamp that Chris uses (it's an unusual preamp... active bass boost and cut, and passive treble cut-only, with internal DIP switches to modify the amount and frequency of the treble response and bass EQ frequency curve....interesting).

Both lines are very well made, quiet and have great playability. I feel that I have the 'best' of both Jazz worlds now... the 70's type instrument in the Celinder and the more classic 60's style instrument in the Sadowsky. If I had to choose, the 60's style instrument is probably more usable in a wide variety of playing situations.

I've played a number of Metro's, and for the most part, really liked them a lot. I don't think there's much difference between the Metro's and the NYC in the basic models... I believe the NYC uses some graphite reinforcement in the neck and has a slightly different headstock size.

When mine comes in, Mike or I will post a comparison review of our 'identical' NYC vs. Metro basses.

10. Thanks.... it's cool to see it up on the site.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What would you guys think of a matching headstock on this bass, i think it would look really awesome.

12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Munj . wondering what you would describe as 'your sound' and also, have you ever compared a JO5 with a Sad? Lastly, didn't you just get a drop dead gorgeous custom NYC Sadowsky?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like it "punchy" and crisp with strong mids, hence my proclivity to a mid control, semi-para preferably. Roll in a little extra bottom now and then. And yes, I got a nice one.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Hey K, Congrats, Now we just need to get Tomboulous up here to LDS with his 25th Anniversery, and Mike with his Tyler ( I think he got it), I'll bring the 750 and we can test a few hundred speakers!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd be down with that! My Sad should be here soon. I could bring my new Skjold, too.

And as another option, we could probably test that many speakers at my house, too! ;)

16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

I had a slight hiccup in the Tyler deal. But I think I'm back on track with it today. I hope! :bassist:
    It will be VERY interesting to do the A/B with KJung's bass and mine.
    I believe it may be the first A/B posted of an exact bass (NYC vs. Metro) A/B between the lines. Hell, it's the same color and pickguard as well!!! Can't get much closer than that!!
    Listening Roger?!?!?!? ;)
    To be fair, I'm gonna remove my front pick-up cover (so no difference can be "felt") and literally blind fold both Ken and myself for part of the A/B.
    Stay tuned!!!

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    HAHA LMAO!!!!!
    VERY true!!!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Excellent idea! But be warned, I may slip you a Wish Bass why you're blindfolded! :p

19. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Do you think he'll notice any difference, whether in feel or tone?

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If not, then I am going to buy me about a dozen Wish basses! ;)