Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Vintage 5 and Vintage P/J5 sounclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ari, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Following bassaussie's thread about the sound differences between the J/J5 and the P/J5, I recorded a few soundclips because notes speak better than words! :D

[​IMG]

Both basses have fresh 045-128 Sadowsky Stainless Steel Strings. I have used the onboard preamp to boost the bass and treble on each bass. For the neck pickup slap sound I lowered the treble a tad.

As usual, sorry for the bad playing :p

Harmonics test #1
    JJ5
    PJ5

Harmonics test #2
    JJ5
    PJ5

I feel that the harmonics are richer and stronger on the PJ5. I don't know if is because of the alder or because of the different pickup placement though.

Fingerstyle, both pickups full
    JJ5
    PJ5

Fingerstyle, neck pickup only
    JJ5
    PJ5

Fingerstyle, bridge pickup only
    JJ5
    PJ5

To me, the sound of the PJ5 seems stronger in the mids, it sounds a bit "fuller" IMHO. Must be the alder...

Slap, neck pickup only
    JJ5
    PJ5

Slap, bridge pickup only
    JJ5
    PJ5

Slap, both pickups full
    JJ5
    PJ5

BTW, I am putting the P/J5 for sale, will post an ad soon!

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Wow! Great thread! The most honest test between JJ and PJ would be if both had the same body woods and Fingerboards. But still, the similarities and consistancy of Sadowsky basses shown through.

If I had to choose, I'd take the JJ. The PJ cleary possessed more mid tones and to my ears was just a little muffled in comparison. The fundamental tones seemed a bit more pronounced with on PJ as well. Probaly the Alder body and Rosewoof Fingerboard added to the darker tones. Still a truly wonderful bass.

Another true test is to listen to how they cut through the mix in a band setting. How do they balance with the overall sound?

Great job! Thanks so much.

Back to thread - Loved the clarity and purity of the JJ. That would be my pick as a winner if I had to choose. Loved the JJ slap tones with both Pickups! MMMM yummy.

Just curious, how does our Benavente Vortex sound tonally compared to your Sadowsky's? Is your Bene a JJ Pickup configuration? What kind of wood? Alder or Ash?

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Thanks!

I am like you, I think the P/J5 sounds great, it is more versatile but sill, I prefer the sound of dual J pickups, especially for slap. That is why I have decided to put my PJ/5 for sale.

Concerning the vortex, I made a thread a few days ago with soundclips. It is a dual J configuration (custom DiMarzio Dual Coils) with alder body, birdseye maple top, maple neck and fingerboard. I think it sound great too, but more hi-fi and modern than the vintage 5. Maybe a bit more scooped too.

You can check how it sounds on this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8 ]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8 [/URL]

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks Ari, they're great! The difference is certainly noticable, the JJ seems to have a bit more bite in the top end, while the PJ has a bit more thump to it. As you said, though, that may be down to the woods involved just as much as the pickups.

Great stuff. Damn shame the PJ is a 5 string - I'd be all over it, as it's probably one of the only PJ Sadowskys in Europe.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    LOL. Hilarious typo!

but anyway, if I had the chance to steal one from you, I'd have to say I'd take the PJ. I dig the more crunchy mids. plus it's really purdy.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    LMAO! If I could only type! Hmmm. Guess I prefer Maple fingerboards as opposed to "rosewoof dingerboards" huh?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey, I sent you a PM.

Peace
    Nick